collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't play me cheap! - Blind Lemon Jefferson, catchphrase

Author Topic: Dusty Strings Blues Fest Concert: Report  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Dusty Strings Blues Fest Concert: Report
« on: March 11, 2007, 04:57:54 PM »
Sage advice is found in many forms, and one of those forms is the lyrics of the country blues. After concluding that the line, "I've got to change my way of livin',"?which has been playing in my head for years and years--was actually my subconscious talking, I decided that it was time for drastic action. So on Friday and Saturday evening, I crawled out from under my rock, ventured down to Fremont, and enjoyed the music of some of the folks that we are (or should be) familiar with.

Friday night's concert at the Dusty Strings Annual Acoustic Blues Festival featured the line-up of Dave Mullany, Mary Flower, and Del Rey & Steve James. Dave came out first and while limited to three songs, treated us to spirited Robert Johnson inspired tunes. Mary followed, and although her set was also too, too short, performed with her usual skill on the lap Roy Smeck, her Gibson, and of course, her superb voice. She did a variety of tunes, including the all so tasteful "Terminal Rag." After a half-time break, Del & Steve came out and with a combination of solid musicianship, showman and showwomanship, and personal chemistry, delighted the audience with a wide range of songs and antics that left me, along with the rest of the audience (I'm sure), feeling good about things all the way home.

Saturday night's concert began with Mike Dowling, who, IMHO, is a musician's musician and guitarist's guitarist. Mike didn't let the "Blues Festival" label limit his selection of material. He included Duke Ellington's "Caravan," "Maria Elena," and Big Joe Turner's R&B hit "Flip, Flop and Fly" (as a sing-along, no less), in the mix. Another sing-along was Mississippi John Hurt's "Louis Collins," and naturally Mike did a couple of his bottleneck pieces as well. After intermission, Orville Johnson, John Miller, and Grant Dermody came out, set up shop, and proceeded to go to work. Orville led off with "Mother Earth" and it was followed by the usual great selection of songs, most of which are on their CD (hint: buy it if you don't already have it). There were many highlights in their set, including Grant's lead on "Depot Blues" and John's arrangement and singing of Lottie Kimbrough/ Beaman's "Rolling Log"?also done as a sing-along.

I am fortunate to live in an area that supports and sponsors events such as the Dusty Strings Annual Acoustic Blues Festival. I strongly urge you to see any and all of the above artists if you get the opportunity. And of course purchase their CDs when your budget permits. Not only is it great music, but it is also an investment that helps keep this living tradition alive, healthy, and thriving.

Stuart (from Shoreline, WA)

Offline bmore

• Howdy!
Re: Dusty Strings Blues Fest Concert: Report
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 12:24:37 PM »
I will second all said about the weekend concert, and add that the workshops that ran Friday thru Sunday were also excillent.
Almost a mini Port Townsend! Makes me ready for August already. I will try to make this a annual event along with P/T, Dusty Strings does so much to help support the music industry with their concerts and classes all year long, it is truly a joy to join in.

Brian
bmore

Offline Janmarie

• www.janmarieartworks.com
Re: Dusty Strings Blues Fest Concert: Report
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 09:19:59 PM »
Hi all,

I also had the luxury of attending this workshop driving over from Spokane.  I caught Mary Flower's class on open tunings which was totally amazing and open tunings finally made sense to me (hey - it's not like I hadn't heard it before but I can be a bit obtuse) - there was something very visual and general about the way she presented it.  Whoa - now I may actually play some in open tunings!  Also caught two of Del's classes.  Her vocal class was excellent with quite a few important  points to improving vocal performance.  And her ukelele class was amazing.  By the way she is teaching at the Portland Uke Fest in June (check it out at www.portlandukefest.org).  I was very sorry to miss John Miller's classes on Sunday but I had a photo shoot of my fused glass in Burien (another story for another time).

The concerts were also excellent.  A very memorable moment - John Miller's performance of Rolling Log Blues as mentioned by Stuart. 

All of it was great and was glad I could get over Snoqualmie pass to atted it.  Well worth it!

Jan Marie

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal