collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
All music is folk music, 'cause we're all folks - Louis Armstrong

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me anything about this Dobro I just purchased?  (Read 6577 times)

Offline MelodiousThunk

I just purchased this used "Original Dobro Hound Dog" from Guitar Center for an unbelievable price.  I ordered it over the web. I was told that it was in great condition and that it was a round neck (I thought, and still think that it looks square tho!... mainly 'cuz the nut looks high).  I've always wanted a Dobro and since I've seen this same guitar sell used for around $1000 a few different times, I thought I should snag it up! Does anyone have any info on these?  I assume that the "original" is US made?  I am just curious and want to make sure that I did in fact get a deal!
Thanks much!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:15:07 PM by MelodiousThunk »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Can anyone tell me anything about this Dobro I just purchased?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:45:27 AM »
Let's see a pic of the neck, square is square!

Not wishing to be a harbinger of bad news I thought the Hound Dogs were a cheap import for $2-300... and looking around the net that would seem to be the case  :(  the reviews of these are not great to be honest so I hope you didn't pay too much...  there are Dobro's and then there are Dobro style instruments of which this is one.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline alyoung

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:02:03 AM »
There are two different Hound Dogs. One is relatively recent, made by Gibson, and it is a cheaper Dobro option. The other was produced by Original Musical Instruments, the company created in (I think) the 1970s when the Dopera family went back into manufacturing. Initially, they didn't have the rights to the Dobro name, so the guitars they produced were brand-named Hound Dog. FWIW, I thought the Gibson HDs were all plain-wood finish, but I could be wrong. They have Dobro decals on the headstock, whereas the OMIs have a Hound Dog logo designed to look similar to the real thing. I have played a couple of the lower-end Gibsons -- the ones with F-holes instead of "eyes" -- and wasn't impressed. Clunky, and not much projection.  If the guitar pictured is a Gibson, it is a "Deluxe Hound Dog" (with the three holes at the end of the fretboard), and Gibson prices it at $US831 (altho it'll be less in most stores).

Offline MelodiousThunk

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:52:09 PM »
I am aware of the cheap imports.  I played one a few weeks ago and it actually sounded pretty good.  I've seen the same guitar that I just purchased sell for around $1000 used a few different times.  I am now sure it was made in the US, but I am trying to find out if it is pre-Gibson.  It has the "Original Hound Dog" Decal on the front of the headstock and the "Dobro" (with a picture of a lyer) on the back of the headstock if that makes any difference?

* A friend just told me (by looking at the photo) that the guitar is an Original Hound Dog Dobro D60 Made by Rudy and Emil Dopyera at OMI in the USA.  Is there anyway to confirm this?

I just found another used one for sale for $1049 at another Guitar Center:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:05:08 PM by MelodiousThunk »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »
* A friend just told me (by looking at the photo) that the guitar is an Original Hound Dog Dobro D60 Made by Rudy and Emil Dopyera at OMI in the USA.  Is there anyway to confirm this?

There should be a serial number on the guitar. There are websites that have info, such as:

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/dobro.html#omi

Do a search "omi guitar serial numbers" and see what comes up.

Offline MelodiousThunk

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »
Thanks for the web site.  For some reason I didn't come across that one!  That will probably be of great help when I get the guitar and have the serial number.  Thanks a TON!

Offline MelodiousThunk

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 08:01:55 PM »
Thanks for all the input!  I got the guitar today and it turns out to be from 1992 which I believe is before Gibson bought out OMI.  It's in great condition and showed up in a hardshell case with some slides, capos, and other extras which were not published in the ad!  I also found out that I did indeed get quite a deal. After speaking with someone from the guitar center that I ordered it from, I found out that the price I paid would have been for a "newer" used chinese model.  It turns out that someone had mistaken my guitar for chinese model and priced it accordingly not even including the price of the case! 

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 08:43:51 PM »
Sometimes one just gets lucky, congratulations. How does it sound and play?

Offline MelodiousThunk

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
I think it sounds great.  I do need to slap a heavier set of strings on it tho.  One thing that I've noticed is that the intonation isn't the greatest, but I guess part of having a Dobro.  I plan on using this for learning slide, so that shouldn't be to big of a deal.  And when I do the swap for the heavier strings I'll look into getting the intonated a little better.

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »
After speaking with someone from the guitar center that I ordered it from, I found out that the price I paid would have been for a "newer" used chinese model.  It turns out that someone had mistaken my guitar for chinese model and priced it accordingly not even including the price of the case! 

In that case well done, sounds like it's a round neck? I've got a 70's sq neck OMI and it's fine, so now go get yourself a set of the Newtone "Michael Messer" 12-56 reso strings and you will be away  :)

Offline MelodiousThunk

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
In that case well done, sounds like it's a round neck? I've got a 70's sq neck OMI and it's fine, so now go get yourself a set of the Newtone "Michael Messer" 12-56 reso strings and you will be away

12-56 gauge strings sound pretty light to me. For playing slide guitar anyway, but I've never played slide before (I have 13's on my everyday dreadnuaght).  I was thinking of slapping a set of "heavys" 14-59 on there, but I'd probably swap the 14 for a 16.  Am I mad for wanting to do this?

Also, while on the subject, are regular bronze, phospher bronze, or nickel strings any better than others for playing slide?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:20:53 PM by MelodiousThunk »

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 06:00:29 AM »
I was assuming you were going to fret it, otherwise get the 15-56 Newtones and take no substitue! Go nickel, brighter sound it's all there was anyway back in them days!

Offline MelodiousThunk

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »
Well... I do intend to do a little fretting as well!  I just ordered two sets of the Michael Messer National strings 16.18.27w.39.49.59.  I was told that these are made to be tuned to open G and D, and that they tune to pitch at lower tension then your run of the mill guitar strings.  So they are supposed to be safe for round necks.  Now I am thinking that maybe I should of ordered of set of a lighter gauge just to be able to compare the two.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 08:59:18 PM »
It's all in the mechanicals I reckon, having once destroyed a perfectly good guitar trying to wring every last ounce of tone out of it.

Might be easier calibrating a reso, researching the total time to failure with various loads. I'm not volunteering, by the way  :P

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 06:28:05 AM »
It's all in the mechanicals I reckon, having once destroyed a perfectly good guitar trying to wring every last ounce of tone out of it.

Might be easier calibrating a reso, researching the total time to failure with various loads. I'm not volunteering, by the way  :P

Yeah, medium gauge strings have always been good enough for my limited slide needs on a resonator, since I want to fret and bend etc etc, and even light gauge with a 13 on top for a wood guitar. One thing is if you want the tension and tone you get tuning up to open A, those heavy string sets become a liability I'd imagine, even on a reso. Tuning lower to D or G with regular strings has never been a problem for me. Though I realize there are many sliders out there who want their bridge cables. ;)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal