collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Negros must stop the deluge of filth, which makers of records are marketing among them. The music of the 'Blues' is one thing, but whether good or bad, it is indefensible to put to it all the stench which ingenuity can drag out the under-world and camouflage with words of double meaning. Don't buy them! Don't go to people's houses who do buy them! Don't permit your race newspaper to bear that name and at the same time advertise flagrant immorality set to music. Do anything, do everything, filthy records must go. - Roy Wilkins, (attrib.) editorial in the December 31 1926 edition of the Kansas City Call, probably written by the man who ironically went on to head up the NAACP

Author Topic: Steve Mann Sighting  (Read 1022 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Steve Mann Sighting
« on: October 18, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
Ran into Steve in a Pete's coffee shop in my neighborhood in Oakland just now. He looked a lot older than when I last saw him a few years ago. I probably do, too.

I mostly spoke with the young couple he was with, one of whom, Joe, I think, is his caregiver and apparently they live in Richmond. Joe is also a player and says that Steve is still showing him things and that his playing is still pretty good. They (mostly Steve) were carrying a guitar.

Steve seemed to be OK. I let him deal with the counter folks and such as that seemed to take his concentration, if you know what I mean. (Like I won't be there soon!) We talked just briefly, enough for me to mention seeing him play a few times in recent years (Tho' I don't think he has performed anywhere in the last 2 or 3.) and meeting him at his last party up on Shattuck in North Berkeley. I said I knew a lot of folks who would like to know he was doing OK.

He asked me to call anytime. I might take him up on that.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal