Country Blues > Weenie Campbell Main Forum

Musicians who recorded under more than one name

<< < (2/11) > >>

waxwing:

--- Quote from: jpeters609 on July 31, 2020, 05:58:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: dj on July 31, 2020, 05:45:49 PM ---I'll start with one of my favorites.  Robert Lee McCollum recorded as Robert Lee McCoy and Robert Nighthawk.

--- End quote ---

And as “Peetie’s Boy” for his two Decca 78s, including the great “Friar’s Point Blues.”

--- End quote ---

And also as Rambling Bob with Speckled Red and Sonny Boy Williamson for Blue Bird at the Leland Hotel in Aurora Il. on Dec. 18 1938.

And sometimes just Lee McCoy.

Wax

Blues Vintage:
I think Willie Brown recorded as Kid Bailey.

Old Man Ned:
Didn't Charlie Patton also record for Paramount as The Masked Marvel?

Pan:

--- Quote from: Old Man Ned on August 01, 2020, 01:38:48 PM ---Didn't Charlie Patton also record for Paramount as The Masked Marvel?

--- End quote ---

Indeed he did. But this was probably a marketing scheme by Paramount Records. How much, if at all, Charlie Patton had a say to this or agreed to it at all, we'll never know.

Which brings us to an interesting (?) side note: which artists recorded with various pseudonyms on their own will, and which artists were labelled as someone else by the record companies? I remember reading that Brownie McGhee was labeled as "Blind Boy Fuller II" on some of his early recordings, and that he reportedly resented this.

On the other hand, some (later?) musicians like John Lee Hooker recorded with multiple pseudonyms for various small record companies to avoid breaching recording deals trying to "own" the artist.

This is again a very interesting thread, thanks Johnm, and might prove to be a great resource to us all.

Cheers,

Pan

Stuart:
Big Bill Broonzy recorded as Sammy Sampson and Big Bill Johnson, IIRC--and also a few others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version