collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller, catchphrase

Author Topic: Stole Rider Blues  (Read 1967 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Stole Rider Blues
« on: August 14, 2004, 09:17:52 PM »
I was just listening to this today decided to try & play it.  It's one of my favorite Blind Willie McTell songs.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Stole Rider Blues
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 11:14:26 AM »
Very nice Frank, thanks for posting a less frantic tune on your new frualini ;)  -- I enjoyed Alberta too, you've really got it going there  - but a lot of string slappin' for sure.

Guitar sounds great... and you too.

Cheers,

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 01:21:33 PM »
Kim said that if Todd ever hears that clip of Alberta, he'll be sorry he let his baby come home with me...  all that spanking!

Glad you liked the tune - I love the way BWM sings over the IV chord.  I tried to capture some of that - kind of weirdly uplifting.

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »
I know this is a very old thread but this has always been a BWM song that I have loved, and you did it justice Frankie. I have never played it before but i am guessing it's Dropped D by the sounds of it. By commenting I reckon more members will revisit this great song and your recording which I suppose by now you have completely forgotten you ever recorded it :) Thanks Frankie for a fine recording.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »
thanks, BlindArthur...  I totally forgot about this song, and I should play it more often...  I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure the guitar has a capo at the 2nd fret and was tuned to drop-D relative to the low tuning - B, so the overall recording probably comes out in B. I've been tuning down to A-flat, so this would probably be at a good singing pitch in drop-D relative to that without a capo (pitch would be G-flat). A nice singing key...  I did Soon This Morning (from Atlanta 12-string) like that and liked the sound of it, myself...  playing is kinda sloppy, but I was amusing the heck outta myself!

http://countryblues.bandcamp.com/track/soon-this-morning

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 08:50:13 PM »
No worries mate, and yes I see where you called me Blind Arthur, I believe there is another Weenie-ist using that name because initially I wanted to use that. My real name is Greg but whoever heard of a country bluesman called Greg ? (well you have now :) ) I didn't really notice the playing as sloppy though, it just makes you sound like McTell circa 1949 from "Atlanta 12 String" which makes it simply a very cool recording and yes I can sense you enjoying that which just adds to the experience. Bob Dylan wasn't wrong about how good McTell was that's for sure.
                           What sort of guitar are you using on these tracks and do you still have the guitar ? I want one like that, finding a decent 12 string here is basically impossible, especially since the closure of Australia's greatest ever guitar shop a few years ago (it was Steve Jackson's Rare Guitars in Sydney, I could never afford to buy a guitar from him but no matter how valuable a guitar was Steve always asked me to sit down and play for him and he wouldn't let me go for hours, he always loved the way I played apparently, he must have cos some of those guitars were in excess of $12,000, when he closed down it broke my heart, now Nationals and 1930's Gibsons are incredibly hard to get downunder)
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal