collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday night is your big night. Everybody used to fry up fish and have one hell of a time. Find me playing till sunrise for 50 cents and a sandwich. And be glad of it. And they really liked the low-down blues - Muddy Waters

Author Topic: Rare blues photos  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Rare blues photos
« on: November 26, 2020, 07:04:57 AM »
I came across this facebook page with some rare blues photos.

Why I Love National Guitars

https://www.facebook.com/WhyILoveNationalGuitars/

Below allegedly a young Leroy Carr, Brownie McGhee and Leslie Riddle, Big Joe Williams, Elmore James And Sonny Boy Williamson 2, Kokomo Arnold, and John Hurt (without hat !)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:06:30 AM by harry »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Rare blues photos
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 07:45:02 AM »
Thanks, Harry.  I'd never seen that Leroy Carr photo before and had no idea he'd been in the army.  But a quick search of online biographies confirms it, including this from the Tennessee Encyclopedia:

"As a child, Carr left Nashville for Indianapolis to live with his mother, a period punctuated by stints in a traveling circus, the U.S. Army, and jail."

So perhaps Carried Water For The Elephant is autobiographical!

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 10:07:08 AM »
Theres an article in Frog Annual about Carr that has that photo and info on his early years.
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »
Probably a scan from the Frog Annual (or another source) below. Leroy Carr was born in 1904. That would make him 15/16 years old in the photo.
Little young for the army I would think if the birth date is correct. But then again I noticed Stefan Wirz and Wikipedia have different birth dates for our heroes.

For example;

Blind Willie McTell         Wirz 1903  Wiki 1905
Charley Patton             Wirz 1885  Wiki 1891
Sam Chatmon              Wirz 1900  Wiki 1897
Kokomo Arnold             Wirz 1896  Wiki 1901

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 03:18:25 PM »
Theres an article in Frog Annual about Carr that has that photo and info on his early years.

Dang!  You're right, there it is on page 75 of Annual number 5.

It just goes to show the wisdom of changing my stock phrase when encountering something "new" from "I never knew that" to, in my late 60s "I probably knew that once, but I forgot it".

Offline harriet

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 01:51:41 AM »
Thanks- never seen one of John Hurt playig an electric.

Offline rein

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 04:09:51 AM »
There is a also a really large amount of upside down guitars in the pictures, both Big Joe (or he probably was still called Po Joe at the time ) ,Brownie mc Ghee and Leslie Riddle hold their instruments upside down, probably because of the wishes of the photographers. That would have confused us if those were the only pictures we had !

Offline rein

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 04:16:03 AM »
They appear to be reversed as well, maybe thats why the photographer did it. I am not too familiar with photography techniques in the thirties and forties, would they have used glass negatives at the time ?

Offline MTJ3

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »
A point of clarification.  According to his death certificate and marriage license application (so there should be no valid argument that the death certificate informant just threw out a random date), Carr was born March 27, 1905. 

I don't know where Paul Swinton got that photograph.  Duncan Scheidt saw a photo of Carr in uniform holding his discharge papers, which photo one of Carr's family members had but understandably didn't want to part with.  The soldier does appear to be holding papers, but we can't tell if they are discharge papers.  I had always assumed, without any evidence, that Scheidt had been able to see that they were, in fact, discharge papers.  To judge from Carr's later photos, it doesn't look a lot like him to me, but we all change over time, especially when crossing over from adolescence to adulthood. Also, Scheidt described Carr as looking "obviously proud" in the photo.  Did Scheidt later acquire the family's photo?  Does Carr look proud there (or did Scheidt misinterpret that)?  Is it really Leroy?  I don't know.  Who am I to say?

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, Scheidt was the first to suggest that "Carried Water For the Elephant" was autobiographical  Maybe it was, but composer credit for the song goes to Thompson and Guernsey, who also hold the copyright.  It seems to me that the song is along the same lines as some of the other Carr tunes for which they have composer credit.  If they did pen the song, maybe they got the idea for the song from Leroy?

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 05:14:59 PM »
composer credit for the song goes to Thompson and Guernsey, who also hold the copyright

Hey, MTJ3, Where'd you find the composer/copyright info for Carried Water For The Elephant.  I can't find that.  Bob MacLeod's list shows no author given on the record label.  Also, do you know of any other songs that Thompson and Guernsey hold copyright for, especially non-blues songs?  Or have any idea who Thompson and Guernsey were?  Professional songwriters?  Performers?  The people who did the paperwork for Carr's session?

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 05:37:11 PM »

Offline MTJ3

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 06:03:21 PM »
Guernsey ran and was at least part owner in Lyric Music, a music store on Illinois Avenue, for a while and is said to have "discovered" and put together Carr and Blackwell.  Thompson had a bit of a career as, for lack of a better term, a country musician and, with his Hometowners, had some association with Emry Arthur.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 11:00:27 AM by MTJ3 »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 06:50:11 PM »
Thanks, Stuart and MTJ3.  A person sure can learn a lot hanging around this forum!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 08:32:58 PM »

I'd never seen one of him without a hat on, either!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:36:39 PM by Rivers »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 03:41:09 PM »

I'd never seen one of him without a hat on, either!

Here's another one.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal