collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's rather ironic that many excellent blues musicians want a sound that's almost diametrically opposed to what most luthiers spend their lives trying to achieve - George Gruhn, http://www.gruhn.com

Author Topic: Rising River Blues - slack mp3  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Rising River Blues - slack mp3
« on: April 04, 2004, 04:29:02 PM »
Welp, just trying to be a sport and give Frank a little company.? This was recorded a little over a year ago - I think I play it a little better now, but not enough different to re-record.? :P
This mp3 sounds a little rushed to me (a constant battle of mine) - but not too bad.? I sure love this tune.

I will try to get something I'm currently working on down in the near future.

cheers,
slack
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 12:28:55 AM by waxwing »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Rising River Blues - slack mp3
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 04:17:57 AM »
It's pretty clear from your reading of the tune that you love this song.  Sounds to me like you have a lot of control over your speed - more than you give yourself credit for (that's for sure).  I'd be curious to hear how the accompaniment sounded with the guitar tuned about a whole step low - would that put it into a weird vocal space for you?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 08:57:42 AM »
I'd be curious to hear how the accompaniment sounded with the guitar tuned about a whole step low - would that put it into a weird vocal space for you?

With a 5 note vocal range - I'm always into a weird vocal space.? :P

I'll give it a try.? My voice is pitched fairly low, but I often have problems pushing enough air in what would seem to be a more natural range.

cheers,
slack
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 12:29:44 AM by waxwing »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 04:32:18 PM »
I'll give it a try.? My voice is pitched fairly low, but I often have problems pushing enough air in what would seem to be a more natural range.

I know exactly what you mean.? I have the same problem with Rolling Mill Blues, but haven't worked out a solution there, yet.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 06:43:03 AM »
Now I don't know whether you will take this as a compliment or not (!) but your voice reminds me of Jelly Rol Morton singing on the Library of Congress recordings, particularly Winin' Boy.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 07:06:36 AM »
Thanks Richard, I'll take it as a compliment if my voice sounds like anything:P

I may have to go find this recording of Jelly Rolls...

cheers,
slack

Offline Reso1

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 03:12:06 PM »
Slack:

Great job on this tune! Any hints on how to play this tune would be much appreciated. I really enjoy this song.

Thanks in advance!

Lee
I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the  library and read a book.

-Groucho Marx

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 05:56:27 PM »
Thanks Lee, you are too kind!  This was taught by John Miller a couple of years back at PT - so much gratitude and credit to him for picking these great tunes to teach.

This is an easy one, especially for someone at your level - so I'll be brief. :) The signature lick is of course the whole thing.  It's in E standard.  The Sig lick is a two finger E chord so you can use your ring finger to fret the 2nd string at the 2nd fret.  The G string (3rd) is always played with the thumb.  I'm betting you can get the pattern from that brief description, but lemme know if that does not get it and I'll break it down further.

Next chord is an A6 I believe, fret top 4 strings at second fret, right hand is a roll 5th string, 1st, 2nd, 4th, repeat.

The descending part is 1st and 3rd strings at 7th fret, then 2nd string/5th fret and 3rd string 6th fret, then a bar across 5 strings at the 4th fret, move it down 2 frets, signature lick and you got it.

Cheers,
slack

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal