collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"When the waitress brought our drinks, I picked up my beer and proposed a toast. 'To John Hammond, for bringing Son to Columbia Records.' Son looked at me for a few seconds and then shook his head. He picked up his bourbon and smiled at me for the first time all day. 'To Robert Johnson, for being dead!'" - Dick Waterman

Author Topic: Charley Patton/Masked Marvel on Ebay  (Read 2062 times)

Offline jpeters609

Charley Patton/Masked Marvel on Ebay
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
For you record collectors out there, it's time to empty your penny jars:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160847744556?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1186wt_1398

Curiously, Charley's name is blacked out on both labels. I wonder if this had anything to do with Paramount's "who is this masked man" contest. At any rate, the record looks to be in nice shape. Perhaps John Tefteller will issue it on a future blues calendar CD after he buys it...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jeff

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Charley Patton/Masked Marvel on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Check out the other items for sale--Big Bill, Blind Blake, BLJ, Papa Charlie Jackson, not to mention a Three Stooges 45 and a couple of pairs of anti-gravity shoes.

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
The shipping is very reasonable.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »
The rubbing out of Charlie's name is very odd -- there are copies of that record that say "The Masked Marvel" and copies with author credit and artist credit to Patton. Maybe Paramount decided on the Masked Marvel promo after they had pressed some copies and sent some out this way?

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:21:36 PM »
The rubbing out of Charlie's name is very odd -- there are copies of that record that say "The Masked Marvel" and copies with author credit and artist credit to Patton. Maybe Paramount decided on the Masked Marvel promo after they had pressed some copies and sent some out this way?

My thoughts exactly. The name removal is intriguing. Paramount's "masked marvel" promo seems a plausible explanation, making this copy of the record even more interesting than, say, a "run-of-the-mill" (ahem) Patton record.
Jeff

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Check out the other items for sale--Big Bill, Blind Blake, BLJ, Papa Charlie Jackson, not to mention a Three Stooges 45 and a couple of pairs of anti-gravity shoes.

You forgot the Kenny G album.

Alex

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »
It's used!  I'm going to wait for a new one to come on the market.

Offline Hwy80

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 02:44:48 AM »
When I bought the John Fahey box Your Past Comes Back to Haunt You: The Fonotone Years (2011) is when I realized there was this Charley Patton box.  But by then it was long out of print.  Recently I won an auction on eBay for it for $100.  What a set!  Everything about it is remarkable. 

Regards,
David

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal