collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
This here number was sung way back yonder. My grandmother sung it, my grandmother's mother sung it, my mother's grandmother's mother's mother's grandmother sung it. Way back yonder, 500 years old. - Rev. Gary Davis introduces Children of Zion, From Blues to Gospel

Author Topic: Arthur Petties' Rediscovery?  (Read 2208 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Arthur Petties' Rediscovery?
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:13:42 PM »
Arthur Petties, Freddie Spruell, Romeo Nelson, Doug Suggs -- these are only a few of the blues singers known on record and in discographies to blues enthusiasts, whose rediscovery has not been followed by recording sessions, for they have forgotten all they knew, and hear with disbelief the records they made as young men. - "The Future of the Blues", Blues Off the Record, Paul Oliver

Arthur Petties? Wow! I thought nothing was known about him except that he recorded two tracks in Memphis and two in Chicago and Big Bill B. said he knew him in Mississippi. Anyone have any info about his "rediscovery"?

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Arthur Petties' Rediscovery?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:03:44 AM »
Yes, I'd be curious as well to know anything more. Unfortunately the Oliver book leaves it at that except for this statement: "Time has passed them by and with it the changing pattern of Negro society -- their old time blues have no meaning in modern Chicago (where all these men live) and little for them either." [bold is mine]

The article, BTW, dates originally from 1966

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:29:18 AM »
Yes, I'd be curious as well to know anything more. Unfortunately the Oliver book leaves it at that except for this statement: "Time has passed them by and with it the changing pattern of Negro society -- their old time blues have no meaning in modern Chicago (where all these men live) and little for them either." [bold is mine]

The article, BTW, dates originally from 1966
Something in the back of my mind tells me it was Erwin Helfer who was initially introduced to him in the late 50s but I'll have to do some deep archaeological excavations to be sure.  ::)

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
FWIW he died in Chicago 5th January 1979 aged 76. I reckon Jim O'Neal will know more, is it worth my asking Jim?

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »
Yes!

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:21:12 PM »
This is beautifully written: "for they have forgotten all they knew, and hear with disbelief the records they made as young men."
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 03:14:58 AM »
Yes!
Have done and also dropped a line to Bob Eagle who wrote a bit about Petties in 1968 and he came back with the view that it was Pete Welding who discovered he was still in Chicago on a tip from Big Joe Williams. Looking at the liner notes to the Yazoo LP Jackson Blues (L2007) at Stefan's Yazoo page it says there in rather disparaging tone that BJW "claims he is presently living in Chicago".
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:31:16 AM by Bunker Hill »

Tags: Arthur Pettis 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal