collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The loudest boos always come from the cheapest seats - Babe Ruth

Author Topic: Weenie Down  (Read 3412 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Weenie Down
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:13:17 PM »
Hi all - Just a quick note to say our host has had some trouble today and we were taken down for some time for security reasons. We seem to be back up but things could still be a little unstable for awhile as they continue to work through the problem. We'll keep you updated.

Drive safely.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Weenie Down
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
Odd. We seem to have gone back in time. I was shown the exact same "Unread Posts" list I saw last night, and a post I made after viewing those posts has disappeared. Anyone else lose a post?

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline jed

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:33:47 PM »
They may have restored all or some portion from a backup.  Some modicum of loss is not out of the question. 

You may want to wait a bit to see what is restored; if you compose your posts offline, you can re-post them once things have stabilized. 

Relieved,
Jed
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 09:35:27 PM »
Yes, they restored from backup. More info as it comes in, but a couple of the last posts before the downtime may have gone missing. They are still working on fixing the overall problem, but it has hit a number of sites on our host server.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 09:42:00 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »
When I clicked on WC late this morning my firewall (McAfee On-Access Scan) came up due to it detecting a virus/Trojan being downloaded from the host server. Here's the McAfee page on the virus/Trojan:

http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/VirusProfile.aspx?key=99965#

As you can see, it's been around for a while so virus protection programs most probably caught it. I'm still running XP and IE6 which made my box a target, but when in doubt, a system scan might be in order.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 01:41:21 AM »
My AVG caught the same thing- so yes, anyone without good up to date protection should run a scan asap.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 07:25:11 AM »
Right, all accounts were affected on the host server - so they had to restore from backup and change all passwords etc.  The host has suspended two accounts.   Run a scan on your system with your anti-virus software.  Folks will have to re-post any posts that got lost right before we went down.

Stuff happens.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 07:32:31 AM »
And Slack, by passwords, you mean administrative passwords, not Weenie user passwords, and by accounts, you mean clients of our host, not individual Weenie accounts - correct? Just so everyone is clear.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 07:35:04 AM »
That's correct, thanks for clarifying UB.  :D

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »
Does our hosting outfit know the exact timeframe during which the site was affected? This for folks who had not accessed WC during that time. For example I previously checked in Thursday night, all was OK, and then again when I got home Friday 5:30P and saw the emails, at that time I got no warnings and a white screen which I assume was a placeholder while they were working on it.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 09:38:22 AM »
Earlier Friday morning was OK when I was online. Wax checked around 11:30 EST or so I think and got the white screen. The white screen was not a placeholder but seems to be part of the security compromise.

For anyone running virus scans: is your software finding anything actually resident on your computer or did you just get download warnings when you visited the Weenie site (as it seems Stuart, Slim and I did)? So far, anti-virus software seems to have blocked this thing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 10:39:22 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »
Just a warning here- AVG caught it fine.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 01:35:44 PM »
I'm running Firefox on XP, and just got the white screen.  Full scan with updated virus software found nothing.  My most recent quarantines were from back in July.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »
After the initial message, I also ran a scan--nothing got through.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal