collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I woke up and remember having to go into my room to get some clothes or something out of my chest of drawers. I was very quiet, as I could hear Rev snoring and didn't want to wake him. Well, I got whatever it was and I was headed toward the door when I heard in a commanding voice,"Don't move or you're dead!". I turned around to see Rev with a .38 revolver in his hand pointed in my general direction, but sort of moving around so as to cover a wider target area. I remember screaming something to the effect of, "No--don't shoot." Rev replied, "One wrong move and you're dead." Well, then I started talking a mile a minute..."Rev, it's me, it's Barry, don't shoot Rev...I was only getting something from my chest of drawers..." Finally, Rev said, "Is that you, Barry?" The incident was soon over, and I had escaped with me life. I guess, from his perspective, it must have been kind of weird to be alone, blind, on the road 3,000 miles from home and rooming with a bunch of lunatic young musicians many years his junior. But to this day, the picture of Reverend Gary Davis that sticks in my mind the most is early in the morning, half-awake and blind as a bat, with a .38 in his hand pointed in my general direction. It was one of the most frightening moments of my life - Barry Melton

Author Topic: Chris Smither and Pokey Lafarge  (Read 808 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Chris Smither and Pokey Lafarge
« on: November 11, 2013, 07:54:06 AM »
I rarely get to any proper gigs, so two in a week has been great.

On Wednesday I went along (with "Harvey") to Chris Smither at St Bonaventures in Bristol.  I'm a very long-time fan of his and biased accordingly- it was his music that was my main route into fingerpicked blues and via a wending path to Weeniedom. 

As usual he put on a thoroughly enjoyable show featuring masterly smooth alt-bass guitar and world weary vocals, occasionally rising to a throaty roar.  I always enjoy his audience repartee- wry observations and quips.  He introduces the well known (largely down to Bonnie Rait and Diana Krall)  "Love you like a man" by explaining he wrote it when he was 23 and thought he knew something about women, but that these days he plays it mainly as a nostalgia piece.

He did two lengthy sets, largely featuring his own tunes old and new, but also touching on a bit of Bob Dylan (Visions of Johanna) and Willie Mctell (a rousing encore of Statesboro Blues).

Chris is going to be 70 next year and is still touring regularly.  Get out and see him when he comes by your town.

Then last night I managed to drag Mrs Slim along to Pokey LaFarge at the Fleece in Bristol.  Wow.  I have seen them playing acoustically once before, but this performance was really something.  Pokey and the band absolutely rocked a venue with 400 people (many of a generation you'd expect to be watching the X Factor and Miley Cyrus...). with sophisticated, no-compromise old time American music.

As a bonus hey brought along a clarinet player and a trumpet / trombone player for the show both of whom were great.  The key however, was the exceptional tight musicianship of the band, and Pokey's singing and showmanship, alongside great songs and absolute affection and reverence for the original sources of their material.  I guess you'd say that a lot of what they do has a big foot in western swing, but there is blues, jazz, and a touch of early rock and roll and country in there too.  The band clearly love what they do, and that comes through loud and clear to the audience.

We had a largely uptempo 95 minute set, and the crowd dancing throughout.  When even Mrs Slim is gushing with praise for guitar based music, something must be good!

To round off the night, Pokey happened to be staying at the same hotel as we did, and wondered in sporting a jaunty grey fedora as we were having a midnight nightcap.  He was an absolute gent, had a brief chat about Mrs Slim's double bass playing,and tolerated a photo :-)

Really highly recommended.  One of the best gigs I have ever been to.  Not many things, these days, would have me putting up with a crowded sweaty venue rather than a comfy seat, but this was an exception

(Clips are not from the events we went to!)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:55:49 AM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline CF

Re: Chris Smither and Pokey Lafarge
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 08:26:29 AM »
Sounds like a great time NS! Pokey & CO. are a wonderful act & keep getting better.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »
A clearly heartfelt and interesting review, Simon. Thanks.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline pete1951

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
Saw Pokey in London last Weds. Very good. Also on the bill was Luke Winslow King , Open D fun on a NRP resonator (very good Blind Willie Johnson style guitar) also a Ry Cooderish electric played by Roberto Luti, Sorry to the washboard player, didn`t catch her name)
Also supporting were the Tillers, A bit `old time` for me but great entertainers
PT

Offline LucyStag

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »
Pokey puts on a hell of a show. Had a fine dance party when he last came my way.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal