collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I never had a man, black or white, kiss me dead on the mouth before, but that's what he done. He say 'Lord, man, you done 100 percent. I've been on this job 35 years and I never seen a man do what you done in 2 days' - Bukka White, on Lester Melrose's reaction to his having written 12 new songs, Chicago, March 1940

Author Topic: Banjo guitar case  (Read 1766 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Banjo guitar case
« on: September 15, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
Hi all - my guitjo came to me caseless and I feel like getting one, if only to protect the strings from the summer humidity. I've tried to fit it in a 5-string resonator banjo case but this doesn't work since the neck support is too high because of the resonator. I'm wondering if any guitjo players have any case recommendations. I guess what I need is a case for an open back banjo with a 12-inch head to dummy as a guitjo case? Or would the neck support be too narrow? Any brands or stores to recommend? By stores, I mean, a store you know stocks cases that fit banjo guitars. I'd probably even consider a basic chipboard case but I guess something along the lines of a TKL-type is best. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Banjo guitar case
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:15:23 AM »
A hardshell case for a guitar banjo is kind of a tough call, especially since there really is no standard dimension for any part of it.  Most guys I know with older ones have original cases or gig bags for them.  Not ideal, but better than nothing (by a very slim margin).

I have a Summit banjo case++ that has accommodated a number of different banjos with all kinds of dimensions.  It's reinforced on the top so it's quite a bit sturdier than the run of the mill gig bag, and has some adjustable padding on the inside so you can work with the particular dimensions of your instrument, including a pad specifically for supporting the neck.  I'm not sure if they're still being made, but it might be worth looking into.  There's no way I would check an instrument in this case when flying.

The other alternative is to have someone like Cedar Creek custom make you a case.  Pricey, no doubt and I'm not sure they'd do a one-off, but if you love the instrument...

Good luck!

edited to add the following footnote:

++  I should say that a couple of banjo owners that I know also totally HATE this case - can't stand it.  I'm kinda hot & cold about it myself, although I do know people that love them as well.  It does have the benefit of being both adjustable for a wide range of banjo geometry, and "better than no case at all," so you should probably see if you can check one out in person before committing to one.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:14:29 AM by frankie »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:51:16 PM »
UB -- why not try contacting Deering or Gold Tone and asking them if you can buy a case that fits? They both make banjo-guitars.
Chris

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »
a wide range of banjo geometry

Now there's a couple words you don't see together every day...

Thanks fellas. Good ideas. You've also reminded me that one of the co-owners of the Twelfth Fret told me to check with him if I need a case for anything since he can get all sorts of stuff from his supplier.

Tags: 6 string banjo 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal