collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'd jump 'em from other writers, but I'd 'range 'em up my way - Willie McTell, intro to Beedle Um Bum, Last Sessions

Author Topic: Cocaine Blues Cover, Luke Jordan  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Mojo Mark

• Howdy!
Cocaine Blues Cover, Luke Jordan
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Cocaine Blues Cover, Luke Jordan
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 01:06:42 PM »
Nice!

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 01:30:58 PM »
Yes sir!
Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 08:16:01 AM »

Thanks for this, I have to learn a couple of his songs I think, always loved that man's guitar playing and that fantastic voice of his. I enjoyed your performance immensely.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:17:17 AM »
Wow!
That was fantastic. I'll be going to school on that one.
Thanks!

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »
that's the business!

Offline ArthurBlake

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 07:25:25 AM »
I just got hold of the lyrics to this tune today and made a point of writing them down in my notebook, so many words I had to split the tune up into two parts because the whole tune won't fit on one. Rather than just use the printer I find writing it down helps in learning the song a bit better, besides too busy playing guitar to memorise lyrics. What struck me is just how sad the content in the lyrics is but also how brilliant they are, especially, "If it ever was a devil born without any horns, it must have been a furniture man." absolutely brilliant stuff, I always loved the verse, "Now I've got a girl, she lives in the white folks yard... etc." as well.
                                                     It truly is a great song in every respect, and a political undertone to it all and also it it is not a tune glorifying drug use, quite the opposite in fact, it is a warning not to take drugs because they will wreck your life. It really does seem as if he is writing about his own personal experience here.

Offline ArthurBlake

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 10:45:24 PM »
I have just spent an hour trying to work the tune out and watching this video a lot. Got the intro down pretty much and a couple of the verses so far. I am not sure if the chord progression changes slighty on some verse yet or if its just the vocal phrasing I need to get right. Does this tune vary in the progression on some verses to others ?. Just loving this, took me a fair while to realize there is a B7 to C and C#Dim transition. The more I watch and listen to this the more respect i have for Jordan and you, your singing is a joy and you have this tune down very tight. I am not yet ready to wheel this tune out in public, mainly because the vocals are gonna take some time. Many many kudos to you mate.

Offline Mojo Mark

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 04:55:20 AM »
Thanks for the Kudos. I learned this from a DVD  lesson by David Bromberg and follow his version rather than the original. You are right about the lyrics. First heard Bromberg,s albumn "My Own House" over thirty years ago. It was got me interested in country blues.

Offline ArthurBlake

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 06:35:52 AM »
Thanks for the Kudos. I learned this from a DVD  lesson by David Bromberg and follow his version rather than the original. You are right about the lyrics. First heard Bromberg,s albumn "My Own House" over thirty years ago. It was got me interested in country blues.
You are welcome, especially since I have now learned the song from you but prefer no capo as singing this in G is easier and a bit more natural for me than Ab. I had to pause the video a few times and got the entire lyrics from Weenie (but like you cut at least two verses out, I did because I couldn't fit all the verses into the one page and also to have less verses to memorize). So thank you very much, I just wish I could sing as well as you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal