collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Pete, any damn fool can mash a string and holler! - Homesick James

Author Topic: starting fingerstyle  (Read 6226 times)

Offline Murphydog

• Howdy!
starting fingerstyle
« on: January 01, 2005, 06:39:31 AM »
I'm new to this site,its great! Having been little more than a dreadnought strummer these past years I have decided that 2005 is going to be the year I learn to play this music. my question is whether any of the lessons available here are appropriate for the first-timer or,if not,what you would recommend for learning the basics?

ragtime_uk

Re: starting fingerstyle
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 08:28:52 AM »
Hi Murphydog,
Great New Years resolution!  You could check out the Stefan Grossman website http://guitarvideos.com/
His videos/dvd's and books are the best in my opinion.  Probably take you a bit longer than just 2005 to learn it all though ;)

Happy New Year,
Dave

Offline Murphydog

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 10:17:17 AM »
Thanks Ragtime, theres a lot of stuff there! Any thing that you would particularly recommend as a starter?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 10:38:41 AM »
Hi Murphydog, and welcome to Weenie Campbell. One of Grossman's videos that I used in the past when getting started on fingerpicking was this one:
http://guitarvideos.com/video/931.htm

Alas, it's not yet available on DVD it seems. There's a 2-DVD set from Stefan that I haven't seen although I'm sure it's up to snuff: http://guitarvideos.com/video/9667dvd.htm

JohnM can tell you whether some of his materials are approachable for beginners. I would think that some of the John Hurt stuff and Elizabeth Cotten as well would be approachable, particularly if combined with the other material above.
cheers,
Uncle Bud

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 12:01:45 PM »
I also recommend Stefan's stuff.  Your best bet for where to start is to read in Stefan's own forum on EZ-board.  You can link to it via the Guitar Workshop website.  Stefan himself posts there and will be happy to guide you (or just read previous posts on this subject).

tom

Offline Murphydog

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 07:21:50 AM »
Thanks for that. I see that lessons are available in dvd or audio cd formats, do you recommend one over the other?

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 09:01:14 AM »
It's all a matter of preference I think.  If you read the other thread on tab, you'll see that there are different thoughts about the learning process.   There several modalities to acquire skills.  Listening to the original recordings, listening to the simplified/slower playing of the teacher, listening to the instructional/descriptive words of the teacher, looking at the hand position etc. of the original artist/teacher, and finally tab. 

I learned quite a bit from audio only lessons early on and am used to it.  I have a DVD or two more recently, and honestly find it to be "too much" from the lesson standpoint.  Too many things to try to pay attention to (sounds, images, my guitar, tab - overload!).  I find it easier and more productive to just listen and emulate.

But especially at the outset, you need to know where to put your hands, what motion to use, etc.  I find that good teachers (like Stefan and many others) can relate to me in a few careful words those issues.  But a visual image can't hurt that either.  When I have found DVDs very useful recently is when learning a song directly from the original artist.  Then, being able to look at their hand positions has occasionally proved invaluable to realizing what they were doing.  And seeing the player is a real treat.

On the tab issue,  I have indeed drifted away from tab considerably (in fact rarely use it now).  But as a beginner, tab is the almost universal and very useful for seeing the basics.  So, use it, but try really hard from the beginning not to rely on it.  The faster you develop your ear etc, the better off you'll be. 

tom

Offline Murphydog

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 09:10:39 AM »
Thanks again, this is a very helpful thread for me :D

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 11:03:42 AM »
Hi Murphydog,
As Uncle Bud mentioned, I do have two instructional videos of Mississippi John Hurt songs and one of Elizabeth Cotten songs/tunes that I did for Stefan Grossman.  They are all available in VHS and DVD formats.  Virtually everyone I have spoken to prefers the DVD format to the VHS because with the menu format it is easier to find what you are looking for.  The material on the videos varies with regard to how suitable it is for beginners.  "Spike Driver's Blues" and "Creole Belle" on vol. 1 of the John Hurt are good beginner pieces; "Frankie and "See See Rider" are more challenging.  I have also done videos (available only in VHS format) of the music of Bo Carter, Furry Lewis, and Robert Wilkins.  As with the John Hurt And Elizabeth Cotten videos, some of the tunes would work pretty well for beginners but others would be quite challenging.  If you care to order any of them, please order them from the Grossman website, since I do not always have them in stock.  Thanks and best of luck with learning to fingerpick country blues.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 03:13:48 PM »
Hello Murphydog
Just to add something from experience, that should you decide to go down the video road, do take copy of it before you start lest you end up with numerous knackered bits on the tape due to the constant start\stop and rewinds... >:(
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 03:17:10 PM »
On the tab issue,? I have indeed drifted away from tab considerably (in fact rarely use it now).? But as a beginner, tab is the almost universal and very useful for seeing the basics.? So, use it, but try really hard from the beginning not to rely on it.? The faster you develop your ear etc, the better off you'll be.?

tom

Wise words from Tom. In the tab thead, I am perhaps pissing on tab a bit too much, as it was hugely helpful to me as a beginner. The key is to integrate its use with really listening to the music, listening for the variations that aren't included in basic tab, listening to see if the actual playing on the original differs from the tab, listening to other people's versions of the song to see how they've changed it, etc. I didn't do this as much as I should have at first as there was such a wealth of material from Stefan and others that it was the old kid in the candy store problem. Now I am trying as much as possible to figure stuff out on my own and in consultation with the great people and players on this board.

That said, I like the DVD format a lot and refuse to buy another VHS instructional video. I wish Stefan was able to convert existing VHS material to DVD more quickly. I'd buy the Willie McTell and Leadbelly lessons in a snap. I learn most of the pieces on DVD by watching the instructor, and very occasionally consulting the tab - that will no doubt be a bit different when I start attacking Ernie Hawkins' Gary Davis dvds, a huge body of work, and one where I think the tab will indeed be more helpful than usual given the complexity of the music. But with JohnM's and Ari Eisinger's material for Stefan, I rarely have to look at the tab as the explanations are so clear. When they are in dvd format the clarity is heightened by the instant access as well.

I remember Ari taught a Little Hat Jones workshop at Port Townsend a couple years ago. He was concerned because it was a class he thought of on impulse and hadn't prepared any tab for it the way he had done with workshops on Blind Blake and Blind Lemon. We told him, don't worry about it, it'll work great and it did.

All that meandering to say I agree that for a beginner, tab will get you going a lot faster. Just be aware of its limitations.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 05:42:41 AM by Johnm »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 03:34:28 PM »
  I am perhaps pissing on tab a bit too much

Ah, UB you have a way with words ;D

Aka the the tab issue, I think there is a place for it in, say, figuring a specific lick, phrase or whatever.

But, as for doing a whole song by tab that's something I couldn't cope with and that has to be via the watch\listen method - which in any event is a more thoughtful way of learning.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

boots

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 04:09:52 PM »
I caught that. Thought it was a technical term.  :D

thehook

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 07:51:02 PM »
I can do a few minor things with the guitar. I am self taught and have been at it for a few years. I don't know any chords and don't know music theroy. I know these chords:
E,A,D,G,Am,F,Dm and a B. All of which are along the first few frets. I try to write music and like what I do but usually its really simple. Like varied strumming of 3 chord progressions. Woody guthrie once said if your using more than 2 chords your showing off. I have taken that to heart, however I would like to know more, I would like to be able to confidently fingerpick and eventually play some country blues. I have heard that MJH songs are easy to play and as he is one of my favorite all time musicians I went out and bought a book with accompanying (sp?) cds. Couldn't even do any of that. I am slowing getting some stuff down mainly the carter strum and some small decent sounding stuff with the C chord to the G but thats about it in the realm of moving forward. My question to you wonderful folks is where should I turn for basic, basic fingerpicking skills that I will use in advancing days, months and years. I am only 16 but I'm dedicated I try to play for an hour everyday and most the time when there is nothing going on I play guitar or banjo or blow some mississippi sax. Tv doesn't have much of a pull for me only music. I have seen many tapes and books. Even saw some fingerstyle begining courses on the computer which I think would work out well. What should I study, buy and spend my time working on if I am just starting to fingerpick with a yearning for real country blues? I know listening is way up there so as a result I have amassed a collection of roughly 70 country blues and old timey music and that has pushed away most metal and alternative stuff I would find myself listening to. Although most my friends are quite taken by it it doesn't seem to get on their nerves. Hell some have even taken an liking to some of the more 'catchy' stuff. I just find it said that lots and lots people know are about image and loudness rather than talent and experience. Anyway thanks for reading I look forward to all your stories, comments and suggestions. By the way I think the software beginner fingerstyle lessons focuses on developing skills that you use later on in the program for actuall blues, I believe it is offered through acousticguitar.com or acousticfingerstyle.com something like that.
thanks again
matt

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 08:14:17 PM »
Hi Matt,

You've got a lot of bases covered already. My first suggestion would be if possible find a teacher. If that's not possible in your area, you might want to check out some Stefan Grossman dvds. Stefan has a page here to guide you through some choices: http://guitarvideos.com/video/000notefromstefan.htm

Homespun Tapes has some stuff as well. I used a couple Happy Traum tapes way back that were pretty good at getting me going, along with Stefan's stuff. You might want to look at
http://www.homespuntapes.com/prodpg/prodpg.asp?prodID=1041&prodType=

A lot of John Hurt sounds easier than it actually is. Don't be discouraged!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal