collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...and the next night you'd go and play the gig, and I'd say, 'Got it NOW! Hey, you wanna play that song?' And it was different again - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Preacher's Blues-Hi Henry Brown  (Read 1719 times)

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Preacher's Blues-Hi Henry Brown
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:31:52 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen:

In anticipation of being able to play some tunes from 1932 next year (the 75th anniversery of 1932), and because I like the tune, I've decide to have a go at "Preacher's Blues" by Hi Henry Brown, with Charley Jordan on second guitar.

I figure that the tune is played in Standard Tuning, Key of E, sounding in G (capo III). All the fingerings etc. I mention below are w/o capo.

The structure is simple:

/ I / I / I / I /   
/ IV / IV / I / I /
/ V/ IV / I / I /

The guitar part sounds to me as a cross between "Cairo Blues" (Henry Spaulding) and "Hunkie Tunkie Blues"  (Charley Jordan). The first four bars of the I chord (E) (and the song's intro) has that Cairo-esque slide xxx(2)x2 to xxx(4)x4, sometimes held on the 4 fret position, sometime reverting to the open E chord (xxxx00) for the end of the bar.

The V chord (B) is played in the standard B7 position (x21202) then walked up two frets, in the 9th bar (x3xx03, x4xx04).

In the 11-12th bars the "Hunkie Tunkie" Lick is played open B-2nd B-3rd B-open E-open B-0 to 1 (hammer) G-open B-open E-open B-2nd B-open E.

I thinks the bass is half time throughout (beats 1 and 3 of each bar), alternating in the E sections, monotonic in the A sections and monotonic (?) in the B sections.

I am having a devil of a time figuring out the melody notes in the IV (A) sections of the tune (bars 5-6 and 10). In bars 5-6 he plays (I think), open E-2nd E-3 to 2 (pulloff)  E, then 4th E-open E-3 to 2 (pulloff) E.

In Bar 10 I think its 4th E-2nd E-2nd E-open E-open E-2nd E-open E.

I'll keep working on this and post any improvements, eventually doing out the TAB, but I would really appreciate any help on this tune from any of you Weenies. The second guitar makes it tough to hear what is going on sometimes, but I feel this could be preformed solo. I am especially confused by the trilled-like pulloffs in bars 5 and 6.

Any corrections GRATEFULLY appreciated

I'll post my go at the lyrics in the Lyrics dept.

.Mp3 attached (I had to snip out the last 5 sec. of the outro to make it fit).

Thanks in advance for your help,
Alex
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:13:59 AM by Johnm »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal