collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I went to the graveyard just to dig me up some gold.. - Allen Brothers, Maybe Next Week Sometime, 1930

Author Topic: Gibson L-00 Standard  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Gibson L-00 Standard
« on: February 07, 2017, 04:22:13 AM »
I'm in the market for a Gibson L-00 Standard. I'd like to know the opinion of people who have (or had) this (type of) guitar. How does is compare to a similar model like a Martin OM for example?

Offline Lastfirstface

Re: Gibson L-00 Standard
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 06:22:54 AM »
Have you checked out the x-braced Waterloos WL-14? A better L-00 choice for less money in my opinion.

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:46:48 AM »
Also competing well in quality and sound with the Waterloo are the Martin 00-17 series.
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/17-series/00l-17e-whiskey-sunset/

I have been quite tempted by both Waterloo and Martin, but money issues and the wife have stayed my hand from my wallet!
It seems guitars of this type are making a resurgence - several boutique luthiers are making knockoffs, although those are mostly more expensive than the Gibson brand.

But as far as opinions, there's nothing as good as playing some and comparing. I have owned an original '30s vintage L-00, and it was wonderful for playing blues/ragtime. I didn't care for it as much for other styles. Sometimes I regret selling it, thus the interest in the newer knock-offs.

Dave

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 09:38:06 AM »
Have you checked out the x-braced Waterloos WL-14? A better L-00 choice for less money in my opinion.

This one? A better choice for what reason? Why the X, I thought the L is mostly the preferred model for blues/ragtime stuff ( X for strumming, L for fingerpicking I read once).

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
Howdy:

I assume the X means the guitar is X-braced, like an L-OO.

I have an original 1933 L-OO and a 1932 reissue. Both are great, the 1933 is my favorite guitar Beautiful, rich, woody tone, to my ears less bright than a Martin (although I have no vintage Martin OM to compare it to).

Some of the L-OO Standard guitars I have played had a 1 11/16 nut, not so good for fingerpicking.

Alex
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:14:49 AM by GhostRider »

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »
The Gibson in your original post was an x-braced L-00 standard, so I was suggesting the Waterloo model with that body type and bracing. You can get the Waterloo in a ladder braced model as well (WL-14L vs WL-14x.) It was the same L-00 body shape but ladder bracing would make it more analogous to a Kalamazoo KG-14. I played a ladder braced one and an x braced one back to back in the Music Emporium and thought they both sounded and felt great, but I'd probably go for the ladder-braced model personally.

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 06:15:44 AM »
I have an abundance of L-00 guitars or very similar guitars.  I have a 2015 L-00 1932 Gibson repro with torriffied top that is very nice for blues and string band backup.  I have a Waterloo WL-14 that is more bright than the Gibson and both have similar body and neck specs so they play the same.  The Waterloo sounds much brighter next to the Gibson when playing it.  I have a Martin CEO-7 that sounds great and specs closely with the first two guitars but does not sound very much like them but does sound very Martin.  I have a WL-12 with maple back and sides that cuts through the string band when flat picked and sounds great finger picked.  Lastly I have a 2007 L-00 Blues King I got off of  CL that has bubinga back and sides and a 1-11/16 neck. It is darker than anything but the CEO-7.   In my travels I never found a ladder braced  Waterloo and wish I had but I live in a Collings desert so perhaps if I get to traveling around I will find one to play.  GAS is its own issue and with trades etc. you can acquire much more than you need.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:10:34 PM »
I have to say that in the first video that Harry posted that, sonically anyway, the "new vintage" gibby eats the "new standard's" lunch, all across the board, no contest to my ears. But, as we all know, those guys are in sales and have a terrific workshop out back. The moral of this story is don't buy anything without playing it, and a lot of its close relatives.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 05:01:11 AM »
Thanks for responses folks. Honestly I don't hear a lot of difference between the vintage and standard. Personally I don't like the firestripe pickguard on the vintage.
I'm gonna try out the 2017 standard this week at my local guitar shop.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:50:40 PM »
How was it?

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 12:14:04 PM »
How was it?

Disappointing. Just not what I expected. I played the L-00 next to a similar priced/model Martin. The Martin blew away the Gibson in every way IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I would like to have the Gibson L-00 in my collection but it's just not worth the 2.400 price tag. I don't mean to insult Gibson lovers.
I guess I just prefer that Martin sound and feel.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 03:26:49 AM »
Go with what suits you and don't worry about brands or the preferences of others. We're all different (as witnessed by a large poster I once saw outside a church in the northern UK city of Bradford, as I went past on a bus: "No two men are alike and both are glad of it!").
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline countrybluespicker

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 08:41:18 AM »
I have a 2011 Gibson Blues King L-00 with mahogany b/s and 1 and 3/4 in. nut.   Love my BK - my only guitar, and a workhorse!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:06:07 AM by countrybluespicker »

Offline Mike Shipman

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 04:59:56 AM »
I have a 0017 Whiskey Sunset 12 fret, it has an 1 3/4? nut and is great for a whole load of of blues styles. I had a Fishman pick up fitted and it works great as my main gigging guitar.
Acoustically sounds great, easy to play and very resonant for a small bodyguitar. Very pleased I bought it.
Mike Shipman
New Forest - Hampshire, UK.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal