collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He took away the harmonica and the mike, made mincemeat out of me, then handed back and said, 'You can't play shit' - Gary Primich, on meeting his idol Big Walter Horton

Author Topic: Sylvester Weaver's Scrapbook  (Read 9762 times)

ddiehl

Re: Eli Oberstein
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 07:17:55 AM »
Hi,
I have been researching Oberstein's career for some time and notice that there is some correspondence from him included in the scrapbook. Could you provide details (or scans?)Thanks,
David Diehl
Only one from Oberstein has been reproduced dated July 11th 1928. It's obviously a photocopy of an original but here's a scan plus, I'm afraid, lots of see through due to very thin paper. Click image to enlarge.

Excellent! Many thanks.

malcolm

Re: Sylvester Weaver's Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 11:30:32 AM »
A friend suggested I join this group and I almost immediately came across the Weaver Scrapbook.
I have found in my researches that my father had a close connection with Weaver and used him as a talent scout for OKeh. I'd love to see the letters addressed to T. C. Rockwell (sic). My dad's name was Thomas G. Rockwell (not C.) and he worked for/with Peer in the 20s. TGR was also one of the major Post WW1 pioneer music businessmen and worked for Vocalion, OKeh, Columbia and then Decca, before becoming co-partner in the Rockwell-O'Keefe Agency, which later became General Entertainment, and, finally, General Artists Corp., one of the two major agencies in the 40s and 50s.
I'm always interested in thing related to my father and plan a bio of his life.
To that end I gather whatever data I can come up with.
Would it be possible to get scans of the letters? Thanks!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 12:34:47 PM »
Malcolm glad to have you with us. The T.C. is a OCR scanning error which I missed along with some others. There were umpteen of them to correct due to the thin paper show-through so I hope I can be forgiven. I see if any of the TG correspondence is rerpoduced.

Back in 2002 you posted a short but very interesting bio of Tommy Rockwell to the both the pre and post war blues discussion groups. If I can locate it may I post it here under a Tommy Rockwell topic heading?

Offline lowery66

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 04:04:12 PM »
Hey Alan:

Do you have the scan for the letter fragments from Ralph Peer found in the Weaver scrapbook?  Many thanks!

John

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal