collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
[We played in] restaurants, taverns, and gangster hangouts. Played... Italian music, German music, we played polka music... we'd play blues, too... we played wherever the dancers was - Roosevelt Scott, on the life of a bluesman in Chicago in the 1940s. From an interview with Jim O'Neal in the notes to Document 5413

Author Topic: PT 2006 - Faculty  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Peter McCracken

• I'm a llama!
PT 2006 - Faculty
« on: December 02, 2005, 08:22:34 AM »
Hi all -

By the way, a google of "Weenie Campbell" now returns 6 figures.

Here's an almost complete list of workshop faculty for next year:

Guitar - John Miller, Lightnin? Wells, Kenny Sultan, TJ Wheeler (TJ will also lead a band lab), Roy Book Binder, John Cephas, Louisiana Red, Terry Bean, Eric Freeman, and Rich DelGrosso (slide).

Suzy Thompson ? fiddle (and probably a few vocal sessions), Bruce Sunpie Barnes ? zydeco accordion (keyboard), Don Vappie ? mandolin. Don will also be bringing a bass player and a clarinet player ? so, this marks the first time we?ll have a reed player on staff.

The mighty Ethel Caffie-Austin will lead the choir; Maria Muldaur will teach blues singing.

Ann Rabson and Erwin Helfer ? piano. Ethel Caffie-Austin will also teach a gospel piano class.

Teaching harmonica will be Phil Wiggins, Grant Dermody, Sunpie Barnes (as well as accordion), Terry Bean (as well as guitar).

We're trying to add one more player - I'll let you know.

Love the passion on this site -

I also want to let you know of one of our efforts to bring new participants to the workshop. If any PTCB ?veteran? brings a first-timer to the workshop, the ?veteran? receives a $100 reduction in tuition.

Peter

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: PT 2006 - Faculty
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 08:37:46 AM »
Looks great, Peter. I can't wait already! I may have to suck it in and do some vocal classes this year, what with Suzy and Maria Muldaur teaching. I reserve the right to chicken out though.

Judging by this photo, Sunpie could be dangerous if he gets near the Weenie kitchen.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 10:57:32 AM »
Hi Peter,
The list looks great, as usual.  I noticed Robert Belfour was not mentioned.  Is he unable to attend, after all?
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 12:35:11 PM »
Terrific line up Peter!

If you'll send me a workshop banner (468X 60, have your web guy do one?) I'll start displaying it on WC.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 09:05:31 PM »
Hi all,
I arrived back home this evening to a message from Peter that his computer is currently unable to send e-mails or log on to Weenie, but that Robert Belfour is confirmed for being on staff at Port Townsend next summer, and that his omission from the previous listing of staff was an oversight.  Good news, and thanks, Peter!
All best,
Johnm

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 07:36:25 PM »
Just want to give a positive warning to y'all:

If you're interested in blues mandolin, Don Vappie will be your man.

If you're interested in Creole jazz-style banjo playing, Don Vappie will be your man.

If you're interested in traditional and modern jazz phrasing on electric guitar, Don Vappie will be your man.

See a pattern here?

I just pulled into New Orleans last night, first time back since the end of June.  So what did I do?  Ditched my bags, washed my face, and went to Donna's Bar and Grill on Rampart Street because I heard that Bob French and the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band was doing its first Monday night gig at Donna's since Katrina hit.  It's an institution in this town, you never know who is going to show up and sit in on a Monday--I've seen Henry Butler with the band on several occasions, and last night Ervin Mayfield joined the band for the last two sets. Don Vappie played bass all night, so I guess I have to add . . .

If you're interested in blues (or jazz) bass playing, Don Vappie is your man.

He has many CDs out; my favorite is Don Vappie and the Creole Jazz Serenaders because it swings really hard.

In short, we're in for a real treat next summer, in addition to all the other fine players that Phil and Peter have booked.

Lindy

(And Donna's always serves free rice and beans and barbecued chicken and gumbo at midnight on Monday's.)

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 09:36:15 PM »
Fantastic line-up Peter! Congratualtions - it just keeps getting better very year. That time slot is blocked out in my calendar already. And if I talk a few more people into being first-timers, Centrum can keep the dough.
Robert Belfour and John Miller on the same bill - wow!. Any chance we might see Ari out PT way again? I need some more of his unusual humour.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 09:27:15 AM »
Peter:

Line up looks great, although I was really hoping theat Tim Williams would make the cut this year.

See you at PT.

Alex

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 01:03:41 PM »
Dear Peter, and all else:

God, I love this group of all you Weenies, this Centrum, this Blues Camp, this faculty. It is so cool, such a fulfilling part of my life. I am so grateful for all of you and this in my life. Thank you all.  :)

Great list of faculty. Indeed.I have been listening to Rich del Grosso's CD a lot lately, keep it in the car, and he plays a nice slide guitar on a few cut. Makes me wonder, will he offer intro or intermediate level mando classes, and will Don Vappie teach intermed or intro level, the other end from Rich? Or will Rich not teach mando this year? I for one get a tremendous amount out of Rich's classes, and enjoy his didactic approach, as I did MJBrowne's in 2001 or 2. I would like to learn from Don too, so much to learn and so little time... :P

Glad Suzy is returning! Love her renditions of Sheik's tunes, her phrasing and feeling. And she is so versatile: folk, old-timey, bluegrass, cajun, jazz.

Would be very interesting to go to the classes on Band playing. I have been in a band performance class for the past year, and been in a few bands, and played with some ragged and dirty, and some fine players. Learning to recede, to be felt and not heard behind the lead singer or guitarist takes some time and is worth the effort. Will be great to learn from some other pros. May have to bring the guitar and the mando to this class.

Robert Belfour? Yeeoww! John M showed us some of Belfour's great trance-like playing a while back, and sitting in with Belfour will be an incredible experience.

Damn, so many choices and so little time at Camp! How can I fit coffee, Bushmills, Cuervo, Calzadores,lime, Tecate, Pyramid, Redtail Hawk, Lamphroag, Glenfiddich, lemon, and a bit of food into this busy schedule? ;)

Wow!
Miller
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal