collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I would say that Boogie-Woogie was the bad little boy of the rag family who wouldn't study. I heard crude beginnings of it in the back streets of New Orleans, in those early years following 1904, but they were really back streets... such music never got played in 'gilded palaces' - Roy Carew, from Giles Oakley's The Devil's Music, BBC

Author Topic: Harmony Sovereign for blues?  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
Re: Harmony Sovereign for blues?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 07:44:47 AM »
 :D Howdy Parlor....great to see you are still hanging around here...

I had a serious lull in my guitar playing after the birth of our second child...but two years later I'm getting back into it and playing out a little.  Also the work on this guitar has gotten my juices flowing as well.

Anyway...great to see WeenieCampbell still perking along.

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
Blue, I apologize, but I have no way of filming or even taking a photograph now. Your 1203 looks as if it won't be nearly as troubling as mine. A word of advice: In regards to the dovetail, yes it is up much higher than your run-of-the-mill guitar, and a bit narrower in my case. Hopefully I can get some film up when I see an old friend next month.

-Larry
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline mutantmoose

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
When I reset my 1203 last year, that dovetail space was right under the 15th fret, no hassle at all. The one thing I didn't expect was for steam to come blasting out of the truss rod cover at the other end of the neck - have a cloth ready for that greasy mess!!! Or better yet, plug the hole...

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 09:36:59 PM »
Well, I used a heat gun on the dovetail (after removing binding and wrapping with wet cloths), have been using it for everything from Son House to Hobart Smith. Simply put, this box rocks!

Offline Gingergeezer

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »
My Sovereign needs a neck reset. How tricky is it to do? Any tips and hints would be great. I'll be attempting the job with a friend who has a fair bit of experience in guitar repair.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »
My Sovereign needs a neck reset. How tricky is it to do? Any tips and hints would be great. I'll be attempting the job with a friend who has a fair bit of experience in guitar repair.

You might want to check this link:

http://harmony.demont.net/kamikazie.php

Cheers

Pan

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 01:11:55 PM »
Or you could ask Mr Murray, Lee!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 02:25:19 AM »
Or get on the bus to deepest Sussex and hand it over to Rick Sellens who will do a fine job. In fact, curiously when he has had his hands on any acoustic guitar, it always seems to come back sounding better. Just ask Blueshome...
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Gingergeezer

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 08:58:36 AM »
Thanks for the info and tips folks!
Mr. Murray and I are going to do this together - I figured it was about time I started to understand how to do my own repairs. I've a done a few small things but this would be a great introduction and  I'd get my Harmony Sovereign back into gigging condition

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 06:42:44 AM »
Good luck, Lee - I'm confident Jim will see you right.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »
Often thought about repairing my guitars together with Mr Murray. He would do the work and I would watch.

Offline mutantmoose

• Howdy!
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 08:35:47 PM »
One thing you really want to make sure of - there are several - have some good denatured alcohol ready to wipe on any areas that get blushed - you don't have lots of time to to this, and it removes the blush and restores the clarity to the finish.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 09:55:19 PM »
Well, it has been a while since I spoke of my old Sov, but here goes. I found it's a '66 jumbo model, my first neck set was not that great. I later had a luthier friend re-do that. Currently strung with Martin 80/20 extra lights, and looking to upgrade the thru-saddle and  (ugh!) pinless bridge. Still my favorite all-around box!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal