collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He would sit all night long feeling bad and just continue singing and playing, improvising one song after another, and tears would stream from his eyes. And he'd get other people crying. Then, sometimes, he would be on another kick, you know . . . love. He'd just love women. Listening to him he'd make you think you were, well . . . this can't be written down, but you know what I mean. That is, you couldn't understand what the hell he was singing, but you didn't have to - Blind Lemon Jefferson, remembered by Josh White

Author Topic: Playing Position/Pitch/Key clarification required  (Read 642 times)

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
Playing Position/Pitch/Key clarification required
« on: January 25, 2013, 06:19:47 AM »
Hi, I've been listening to Papa Charlie Jackson quite a bit lately, thought I'd have a bash at Four Eleven Forty Four, which my ears hear as being in the key of A. Looking through JohnM's positions/keys chart, I notice that it is given as being played from a Bb position in the key of A. I must be very stupid, because I don't understand what that means.
Does it mean that I have to tune down a half-step and then use a capo at the first fret? It sounds like it's a fairly similar set of chord positions to Blake's That'll Never Happen No More - at least the little descending pattern behind "I looked in my purse, saw I had a little dough" etc. sounds that way. To my way of thinking, that makes it start from a G position with the capo at the second fret.
Frankly, I'm more than a little bit confused here...
As usual, any and all advice or assistance will be very greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Playing Position/Pitch/Key clarification required
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 06:30:55 AM »
Hi Stumblin'
What the playing position designates is what position Papa Charlie was playing in--the pitch indicates where it sounds.  So if Papa Charlie was playing in Bflat position, as he was for "Four Eleven Fourty-Four", and sounding in A, his banjo-guitar was tuned a half-step flat.  The reason we started listing pitch independent of playing position is because Country Blues are so often played tuned high or low or with a capo.  On some sets, like the "George Mitchell Collection", a tiny percentage of the performances were made on guitars in standard tuning pitched to A 440.  Where a performance shows a great distance in pitch between the playing position and the pitch at which it was played, the person either used a capo, as in Clifford Gibson playing in Spanish tuning and sound in D, or is tuned very low, as in Leadbelly playing out of F position and sounding in B.  I hope this helps.

EDITED TO ADD:  Just in case Bflat position is not clear, it means that Papa Charlie was fingering his I chord
1-1-3-3-3-X, and alternating his bass, boom-chang style between his root at the first fret of his fifth string and the V, at the first fret of the sixth string.  Sometimes in his I chord, Papa Charlie also played the third fret of his first string.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:34:17 AM by Johnm »

Offline mr mando

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:33:37 AM »
The ending of "Four Eleven Fourty-Four" uses the same run that PCJ is employing in "Baby Please Loan Me Your Heart", which he also plays in Bb. I think he also uses almost the same vamp in the beginning of both tunes, where he has a G/B fingered x-2-0-0-0-x as the second chord instead of the more usual I#dim. The difference is that he uses a F7#9 (1-x-3-2-4-4) in "Baby Please Loan Me Your Heart" where he seems to use a regular F (1-x-3-2-1-x) in "Four Eleven Fourty-Four".

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:46:05 AM »
Thanks, chaps.
Okay, tune down half a step, that's essentially what I thought you meant. I'll try it and see if I can master the vamps and descending "Looked in my purse" pattern(s).
JohnM, that whole 440 thing... I know it doesn't apply to a great many cb recordings, tuning to voice or using a capo etc. To further muddy the old waters, apparently some cultural groups also use a slightly higher or lower frequency as their reference A.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal