collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
So I asked him to play "Trav'lin' All Alone." That came closer than anything to the way I felt. And some part of it must have come across. The whole joint quieted down. If someone had dropped a pin, it would have sounded like a bomb. When I finished, everybody in the joint was crying in their beer, and I picked thirty-eight bucks up off the floor - Billie Holiday, 1915-1959

Author Topic: New Feature: Forum Tags  (Read 3419 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
New Feature: Forum Tags
« on: January 08, 2007, 08:53:53 PM »
Forum Tags - An Introduction

We've added a new organizational feature to the WeenieCampbell forums called "Tags". You may be familiar with the general concept of tagging from blogs or YouTube.

Essentially, tags are keywords which gather related posts from the Weenie forums in a list of topic hyperlinks. So for instance, the tag "mandolin" could link posts on blues mandolin, mandolin players, mandolin CDs, how to play mandolin, types of mandolins etc. A "Blind Lemon Jefferson" tag could bring together topics about his lyrics, how to play his songs, references to magazine articles about Lemon etc.

Tags are displayed as links at the bottom left of a topic page. If a tag has been added to a topic, you will see "Tags" in bold followed by one or more hyperlinks with a tagname (for example, "Mandolin" or "Boll Weevil"). Click on a tagname and you will be brought to a list of topics that have also been tagged with that keyword or phrase. Each item in the list is a hyperlink to a related forum topic.

This is a feature that will help us make better use of some of the amazing information that has been posted in the Weenie forums. With 20,000+ posts, there's a lot of great material in older threads that people may not find easily. With tags, over time, this information will be easier to locate.

So far, there are only a few tags on the Forum, but you will see them more and more in the coming days and weeks. Some tagged topics may not seem to have obvious relevance from their subject headings. Clicking on the topic then searching for the tagname with your browser's Find/Search function should get you to the part of the topic that is relevant. For topics that go on for multiple pages, obviously you may need to search those subsequent pages.

How to Add Tags

Tags can easily be added to existing topics, as well as to new topics. So far, you must be the originator of the thread, or an administrator, to add a tag to an existing topic. Here's how.

To add a tag to an existing topic:

1) Locate the "Tags" line on the bottom left of the topic page.
2) Click "Add Tag".
3) When the Add Tag screen comes up, type in your tag in the "Tag to Add" field, then click the "Add Tag" button.
4) You're done. You'll be taken back to the topic and on the bottom left of the page you will see your tag as a new hyperlink.

To add a tag to a new topic you're starting:

1) Begin posting as usual. You will see a new field called "Tags" right below the "Subject" field.
2) Type your tag in the Tags field. For example, if your post is about Ma Rainey, type Ma Rainey. Simple enough!
3) Proceed with your post as usual.

For both options: If your tag already exists, the tag manager will simply include your topic in the list for the existing tag.

Multiple Tags

Where this feature can get even more useful is when you include multiple tags. So for instance, for your new Ma Rainey topic, you could enter multiple tags like "Ma Rainey" and "Classic Blues" (without quotation marks). Adding mutliple tags all at once only works on new posts for now. For existing topics, you need to add your tags one at a time.

To add multiple tags to a new topic, proceed as above for a new topic, but in step 2, add a comma after "Ma Rainey", then type "Classic Blues" (again, leaving out all quotation marks). Do not type a space after the comma. Adding a space is like typing "_Classic Blues", which means any topics tagged "Classic Blues" will not be listed with your new aberrant tag that begins with a space. Multiple tags should all run together, separated only by commas, like so: Ma Rainey,Classic Blues,Pruitt Twins

So far, adding more than one tag at a time is only possible when posting a new topic. To add more than one tag to an existing topic, you need to add one, finish it, then start another. We expect the developers will add a multiple tag option for existing posts in the near future.

Deleting Tags
If you need to correct a typo in a tag you've added, you will have to delete it by clicking the red X to the right of the tag and then start over.

Tag Menu tab

At the top of the Forum pages, you'll see a new Menu tab for Tags. Clicking this brings you to a page listing various recent tags. So far, the format is in something called a "Tag Cloud". It's all the rage with the cyberkids, though frankly I find it irritating  :D. Font size indicates the number of topics associated with a tag: big font, lots of topics. It would be nice to have just a plain alphabetical table, IMO, but there you have it. Options for the tag list may come with further versions of the module. This page also lists recently tagged topics. This page does not display all existing tags, only recent ones. We're hoping for a complete tag directory in future versions of the software.

Any questions, shoot away. It's pretty easy to use, so do try to add tags to any new topic you post. Eventually, we'll have built a really powerful cross-referencing tool.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:07:42 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: New Feature: Forum Tags
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 11:49:12 PM »
What a super feature. I've just looked at the tags at the Kid Bailey topic.

When I'm feeling bored or having bouts of insomnia I might have a go at applying tags to one of the long features I've posted in the past.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:10:35 AM »
Good to see some people adding tags already. Here's a list of tags added so far, which will help folks follow some standards (such as they are).

TAGS REMOVED FOR UPDATING. SEE MORE UP TO DATE LIST BELOW.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 04:15:29 PM by uncle bud »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:22:41 AM »
Just a reminder: you can only add tags to topics you started (moderators can add tags to any topic). This is because you "own" the topic as far as the forum software is concerned.

For existing topics, you can only add tags one at a time.

When you start a new topic, you can add mutiple tags all at once, separated by commas only (no spaces after the commas).

There is a maximum of 10 tags per topic built into the software, so if you add a lot of tags, you may need to prioritize.

If you want to add tags to your topics, you can always views your posts through your User Profile. Click on your username, or on the Profile tab at the top menu (you have to be logged in). Then at the bottom of your profile, click "Show the last posts of this person". This will bring up a list of your posts. You can then pick through to find topics you started, go to them, and add tags. You cannot add tags to topics you've replied to, only to topics you have started.

Inevitably, we'll get some duplicates and errors. Don't worry about it, we can sort it out later. You can also delete an incorrect tag by clicking on the red X next to it. Then start over.

So far, one standard we can adhere to is that artist names should be complete in the tags. So: Blind Lemon Jefferson. Kansas Joe McCoy. Furry Lewis. Rev. Gary Davis. Etc.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 08:25:18 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 04:56:53 PM »
Hmm, potential problem, I added tags Mance Lipscomb, Kid Bailey and Lightnin' Hopkins, amongst others. They are not appearing in the tag cloud. They do appear on the threads to which I first added them. For example check out the tag at the bottom of this thread: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=108&topic=2484.0

Then click on Tags, no Mance.

Edit: I notice it sez "Popular Tags". Does that mean they don't appear if nobody clicks on them? That would be self defeating I should have thought, unless you could click on an "All tags" option.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 05:00:16 PM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 07:20:18 PM »
Hi Mark -

The tag cloud seems to be a kind of pointless list of recent tags, with font size indicating a greater number of topics with that tag. It is not comprehensive in any way, just seems to be a list of the latest 2 dozens tags or so. For instance, I tagged a bunch of threads with Blind Lemon Jefferson, but it's not in the cloud because too many new tags have been added.

Unfortunately, so far there doesn't seem to be an index or master list option for these tags so far. The tags appear in the threads as you note. We need to request an index feature I think, since it will not only be useful to see what tags exist for standardization purposes, but will also be fun to browse. We'll need to get Slack on the developer.  :P

Anyway, it's not so much a problem as a limitation so far. And one of the main functions of the tags will be that when people are reading a topic and see the tags at the bottom, they can click and surf over to related topics.

The tags for Mance are there. Clicking on the tag in your topic brings up the list of related Mance material.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 07:53:13 PM »
Yep, the author is looking for ideas to include in the Tagging modification -- and we've given him plenty.  This is an early implimentation, released just before Christmas, so hopefully more features are coming. (I agree, little purpose to the tag cloud.)

Still, it is an fun, interesting and useful feature.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 03:50:09 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. Yes I agree some form of sortable tag central index would be ideal, independent from how current a tag was. I can see how currency would be appropriate to a blog site since blog content is by nature transitory. Ideally we need an option for them to persist.

While we're talking to the developer another feature I'd consider a killer one would be tags at the single post level, or preferably a paragraph level,
Code: [Select]
[tag MyTag]something like this[/Tag]This would allow us to pull together interesting but brief references buried in an otherwise unrelated thread, which happens a lot. In other words make the tags more granular. If you clicked on such a tag in the cloud it could take you just to the text concerned, with an option to expand the whole thread. This may not be easy to do.

Another feature that would suit us would be some way for the mods to weight the items within a single tag so the "mother of all posts on the subject of X" appear at the top.

One more request: Remove the 12 tag limit per thread.

Great to see Year tags going in, that would be Ghostrider I guess.  ;) For a long time I've thought it would really bring the site to life if we were able to get a complete snapshot of a year in country blues, further segmented by region, content type and other categories. Tags are a great way to stimulate further discussion on this.

It does make you realize the breadth and depth of content we've already got accumulated here thanks to all the weenies who continue to contribute over time. If we could just cross reference it on demand and control its presentation we'd really have something even more unique and valuable.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 04:32:17 AM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 04:16:35 PM »
Here is the latest list of tags. We've reached 274. Impressive!

12 String Guitar
12-string
16-Bar Blues
6-string banjo
78 Quarterly
Aladdin
Alan Wilson
Alec Seward
Alex Moore
Alfred Karnes
Arcola Records
Arhoolie Records
Art Rosenbaum Recordings
Arthur Pettis
Baby Tate
banjo
Barbecue Bob
Bessie Smith
bibliographies
Big Al Calhoun
Big Bill Broonzy
Big Joe Williams
Bill Gaither
Blind Blake
Blind Boy Fuller
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Blues & Rhythm
Blues Fiddle
Blues lexicon
Blues Theory/Analysis
Bo Carter
Bobby Leecan
Boll Weevil
books
Brooks Berry
buck dance
Buddy Moss
Bukka White
Butch Cage
Butterbeans and Susie
C.C. Rider
California Ramblers
Cannon's Jug Stompers
Carl Davis
Carolina Slim
Casey Bill Weldon
Catfish
Cecil Barfield
Charley Lincoln
Charley Patton
Charley Taylor
Charlie Manson
Charlie McCoy
Charlie Taylor
Charlie West
Chitwood and Landress
Chorus Blues
Clarence Green
Classic Blues
Clifford Gibson
Clyde Causey
Curtis Jones
Daddy Stovepipe
Dan Pickett
DGDGBE Tuning
Dick Justice
discographies
Dock Boggs
Dr. Ross
Dropped-D tuning
DVD
E9 Chord
Ed Bell
Eddie Anthony
Eddie Heywood
Emry Arthur
Ernie Hawkins
Fat Possum
fiddle
Flat VI Chord
Flat-picked Guitar
flood
Frank Hovington
Frank Stokes
Frankie
Fred McDowell
Freddie Spruell
Funny Papa Smith
Furry Lewis
Gabriel Brown
Gambling Songs
Gayle Dean Wardlow
George Carter
George Mitchell Recordings
George Torey
Georgia White
Gold Star
Guitar Duet
Guitar Duets
Gus Cannon
Gwen Foster
Hacksaw Harney
Hair
harmonica
Harmonica Frank Floyd
Harry Oster Recordings
Helen Humes
Henry 'Son' Sims
Henry Thomas
Henry Townsend
Herman E. Johnson
Hezekiah Jenkins
Hi Henry Brown
Howling Wolf
Instruction
Ishmon Bracey
J. T. Smith
J. W. Warren
J.D. Short
J.T. Smith
J.W.Warren
Jack Kelly
Jazz Gillum
Jesse Ellery
Jesse Fuller
Jim Kweskin Jug Band
Jimmie Gordon
Jimmy Cox
Jimmy Lee Williams
Joe Callicott
John Byrd
John Cowley
John Hardy
John Henry
John Lomax
John Miller
John Tefteller
Johnny Shines
Johnny Temple
Johnny Woods
Josh White
jug band
K.C. Douglas
Kansas Joe McCoy
kazoo
Kid Bailey
Kid Ernest
Kokomo Arnold
Lap Steel
Lawrence Gellert Recordings
Leadbelly
Leecan & Cooksey
Levee Camp Moan
Lightnin' Hopkins
Lil' Son Jackson
Little Hat Jones
Living Blues
Lonnie Johnson
Louis Armstrong
Louis Hayes
Louis Jordan
Luke Jordan
Lyrics
Mack McCormick
Mae Glover
Mance Lipscomb
mandolin
Mark Blaesing
Marshall Owens
Memphis Jug Band
Memphis Minnie
Memphis Willie B
Minor Chords
Mississippi John Hurt
Mississippi Sheiks
Ollie Rupert
Open D tuning
Open G tuning
Papa Charlie Jackson
Paramount Records
Paul Oliver
Paul Rishell
Peetie Wheatstraw
Peg Leg Howell
Penguin Guide to Blues
Pete Franklin
Photos
Pink Anderson
Poor Me
Pork
Pre-Blues
Proper Records
Quills
R.L. Burnside
Rabbit Muse
Ransom Knowling
Rev. Gary Davis
Robert Cooksey
Robert Johnson
Robert Lowery
Robert Pete Williams
Robert Petway
Robert Wilkins
Romeo Nelson
Roosevelt Sykes
Rory Block
Roy Book Binder
Sam Collins
Sara Martin
Scott Dunbar
Scrapper Blackwell
See See Rider
Shirley Griffith
Shortstuff Macon
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Skip James
Sleepy John Estes
slide
Sloppy Henry
Smith Casey
Smokey Babe
Snooks Eaglin
Son House
Sonny Boy Williamson
Sonny Terry
Sooey!Sooey!
Spanish tuning
Spivey Label
St Louis
Standard Key of A
Standard Key of C
Standard Key of E
Standard Key of G
Statesboro Blues
Stefan Grossman
Stephen Calt
string bands
Sylvester Weaver
Tab
Tampa Red
Teddy Darby
Teddy Williams
Texas
Texas Alexander
Texas Blues
Titanic
Tom Webb
Tommie Bradley
Tommy Johnson
Tommy McClennan
Trouble In Mind
turnarounds
unwound third string
Vestapol Tuning
Virginia
Vocal Duet
Vocal phrasing
Walter Beasley
Walter Roland
Will Batts
Will Shade
William Moore
Willie Hatcher
Willie Reed
Yank Rachell

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 12:07:52 PM »
Y-i-p-p-e-e, the Wennie techno wizards have done away with the pointless tag cloud and provided an alphebetical index the names/subjects contained therein can be viewed with a click.

Well done guys, a most useful addition that'll keep information junkies like myself amused for hours.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 02:54:30 PM »
Which can be viewed by clicking the the "Tags" Menu tab at the top of the forum. 

Bunker, it's a Tag Cloud for Squares.   ;D

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 09:17:49 AM »
A most excellent feature and a vote of thanks to all those who helped, I must admit that I stayed out of this one   :-X
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal