collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Today a guy can go into a studio and make a record, just any guy. Today you are judged by your records. You make a record overnight. A guy makes a record and overnight he's a big recording star and you can't say anything to him. And most of the time he can't even carry his instrument - Sam Price, to Paul Oliver, 1960

Author Topic: Anti-War Blues  (Read 10444 times)

Offline MonongahelaSheik

• Howdy!
Re: Anti-War Blues
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
Not specifically anti-war but about racism in war: Josh White -  Uncle Sam Says.
 I believe National Defense is really patriotic.  Imagine the anxiety in 1942 when this was recorded  with the enemy gaining ground and we're newly in the war.   How long will the war last???  He's saying  Buck up folks; 'This war may last you for years.'

Offline Shovel

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2013, 10:12:41 AM »
All I know is we need some more NOW

Amen!

Double Amen!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2013, 03:45:36 PM »
Hi all

How about the Five Breezes' tune "My Buddy Blues"?

Here's a very short biography on this pre-war group, led by Willie Dixon:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/five-breezes-mn0000063925/biography

I guess this would make a good entry on the blues with sung harmony thread as well!

Cheers

Pan

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2013, 06:53:16 AM »
From the Sun Records vault, how about James Scott Jr. Blues Rockers with L.B. Lawson: "Missing In Action."

(Can't find a video for this one, unfortunately.)
Jeff

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »
Hi all

Here's a very short biography on this pre-war group, led by Willie Dixon:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/five-breezes-mn0000063925/biography

Cheers

Pan
All too short, I fear, Pan.

In 1985 Jonas Bernholm released two LPs (on his Dr Horse label) of their entire recorded output, the first of which had a gatefold sleeve. Both LPs are festooned with vintage photos that had been loaned to him by Willie Dixon, the Caston family and others. The notes to both are copious (by Jonas and Don Snowden). The LPs got rave reviews at the time but one or two pundits found them an "acquired taste". These LPs used to fetch silly sums of money...

In the 90s there was a single Sony CD in the Roots & Blues series which didn't really do them justice.

Offline wreid75

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »
Topics like these keep me exposed to gems that I have either forgotten about or have missed along the way.  On Leadbelly songs, this cat wasn't afraid to record anything.  Some of the subject matter, tone, and language was decades ahead of its time.  If I only had a time machine and could hear him in his prime when he was young.  Well prime isn't the right word since House sounded the best later in life.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 11:34:53 PM »

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »

Somewhat pro-war, but Fuller realises the soldiers aren't going to enjoy themselves much out on the battlefield...
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2013, 04:31:26 PM »
Not specifically anti-war but about racism in war: Josh White -  Uncle Sam Says.
 I believe National Defense is really patriotic.  Imagine the anxiety in 1942 when this was recorded  with the enemy gaining ground and we're newly in the war.   How long will the war last???  He's saying  Buck up folks; 'This war may last you for years.'

I just came across "Uncle Sam Says" on YouTube:

I think that White's "Defence Factory Blues", from the same session, qualifies to this thread also:

Cheers

Pan

Edited to add:  Elijah Wald's article on Living Blues magazine deals with the subject: http://www.elijahwald.com/joshprotest.html
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:45:46 PM by Pan »

Tags: anti-war blues war 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal