collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I love the music business, but it sucks. The only thing I can liken it to is the drug business. Everybody's out to get you, no one's legit, and the only people getting paid are at the top. - Syl Johnson

Author Topic: John Miller Website  (Read 41096 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Memphis Minnie's "Drunken Barrelhouse Blues", Song of the Month lesson, 2/21
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2021, 06:21:15 AM »
Hi all,
I hope that you're doing well. I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson fro February, 2021 at my website is Memphis Minnie's "Drunken Barrelhouse Blues", a driving piece she played in G position in standard tuning. It's one of the relatively few solo numbers she recorded and really showcases her stellar guitar playing. The lesson includes her intro solo, verse one accompaniment and later solo. Here is Memphis Minnie's performance of "Drunken Barrelhouse Blues":

For the month of February, the lesson can be ordered for $35.00, for which you receive a TAB transcription, sent as a .pdf, and separate talk-throughs of each section of the transcription, sent as .mp3s. To order the lesson, go to: http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html , and follow the instructions for making payment via www.paypal.com. I hope you'll take the opportunity to learn this exciting piece.

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:17:56 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
March 2021 Song of the Month Lesson--"Joliet Bound"
« Reply #196 on: March 01, 2021, 08:09:21 AM »
Hi all,
The Song of the Month lesson for March, 2021 at my website is Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie's song, "Joliet Bound". The lesson focuses on Minnie's lead guitar part, played in Spanish tuning. This is a ripping piece, with interesting and unusual phrasing. The lesson teaches the song's intro and verse accompaniment, which is the subtotal of the rendition, instrumentally, for it is a set piece after the intro, confining itself to the same verse accompaniment for the remainder of the rendition. Here is "Joliet Bound":

Cost of the lesson is $35.00, during March 2021, for which you receive a .pdf of the transcription and a very thorough talk-through of the intro and verse accompaniment. Payment can be made in accord with the procedures outlined at:
http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html . I hope folks will take advantage of the opportunity to learn this tremendous piece.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
George Torey's "Married Woman Blues"--Song of the Month lesson, April, 2021
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2021, 06:26:04 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for April, 2021 is George Torey's "Married Woman Blues", one of the most exciting 8-bar blues (with tag) ever recorded. George Torey, who only ever had two titles released, accompanied himself out of E position in standard tuning for the song. I've long intended to figure it out properly, and yesterday did so. Here is George Torey's "Married Woman Blues":

For the lesson, I have transcribed his extended intro, his verse one and two accompaniments and his coda. For the month of April, 2021 only, a lesson will be offered for $35.00, for which you'll receive the transcription in TAB plus thoroough talk-throughs of the piece. To place an order, follow the instructions in the Teaching section at my website, johnmillerguitar.com .

I hope you'll take advantage of this opportunity to learn this terrific number..

All best,
John

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Honeyboy Edwards' "Spread My Raincoat Down" May, 2021 SotM lesson
« Reply #198 on: May 03, 2021, 10:31:27 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson for May, 2021 at my website will be Honeyboy Edwards' version of "Spread My Raincoat Down", an exciting blues in E position, standard tuning that he recorded for the Library of Congress in July of 1942. Here is his performance:

The lesson has Honeyboy Edwards' rendition transcribed from beginning to end, with intro, three solos, and five verse accompaniments. The song is an unusual mix of exciting, flashy playing and a realy "country" approach, in that Honeyboy did not maintain a consistent structure in his different passes through the form, choosing instead to play the song however he was feeling it in the moment, an approach he was to maintain throughout his very long playing life. Transcriptions of his songs are quite rare, and I hope you'll take advantage of this opportunity to pick up on some of his ways of playing an E blues.

As is usual with the Song of the Month lessons, in addition to the transcription itself, you'll receive very thorough talk-throughs of each pass through the form, and the lyrics to the song. Cost of the lesson during May, 2021 is $35.00, and after May, the price will go to the normal $55.00 price for a lesson on the song. Payment for the lesson should be made in accordance with the procedures outlined at johnmillerguitar.com in the Teaching section.

Thanks for your time and I hope all is going well for you.

All best,
JohnM

Tags: John Miller 2017 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal