collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
..well I know some of the oldest songs that is - Furry Lewis, referring to John Henry and Casey Jones

Author Topic: Additions to Weeniepedia  (Read 49025 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Additions to Weeniepedia
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2021, 09:10:25 AM »
Hi all,
I entered a first page under the category of Harmonica under Musicianship in Weeniepedia: Great Solo Harmonica Performances. I'm glad to have harmonica recognized there now.
All best,
John

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2021, 09:34:19 PM »
Hi all,
I added a fiddle blues page to Weeniepedia under musicianship.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2021, 03:31:55 PM »
Hi all,
Yesterday and today I entered a new page on the Guitar page in Musicianship in Weeniepedia. It's kind of a big one, called "Guitar Accompanists". I had been thinking for some time about how we've had for several years now a page, "Piano Accompanists" on the Piano page in Weeniepedia, and thought we should have an analogous one on the Guitar page. It ended up being a very time-consuming operation, but it's up now for your perusal. I decided to enter only song performances in which the guitarist was accompanying a non-playing singer, because I think in that context the guitar is filling a different, and bigger responsibility than in duo performances of more or less long standing, like Leroy Carr and Scrapper Blackwell, or Big Maceo and Tampa Red. Similarly, I see Joe McCoy accompanying Alec Johnson, a non-player, as being very different than Joe's work with Memphis Minnie. 

I'm curious, do any of you ever go to Weeniepedia, look things up, or get information there? I'd appreciate it if some of those of you who do use it from time to time could indicate so here. Thanks.

All best,
Johnm

Offline eric

« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2021, 03:49:03 PM »
Wow, that is indeed a lot of work, John.  I use Weeniepedia pretty regularly.  It's a great resource, and I really appreciate the folks who contribute so much to it.  Thanks.
--
Eric

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2021, 03:56:25 PM »
I'm a regular visitor, 2-3 times per week.

Just before Covid I was hosting a monthly country blues jam at a local bookstore. Prepping songs for each session got a boost from the lyrics and playing positions info on Weeniepedia.

After Covid shut down that jam session, I started doing some regular stuff on zoom with a few friends. I try to prep at least one new song per session, and I visit weeniepedia regularly to support my tin ear and need for lyrics.

It's a treasure, thanks to those of you who have been or continue to be regular contributors and organizers.

Lindy

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2021, 04:20:36 PM »
I don't use it often at all - but when you modify it I check it out. Is it like wikipedia, where any of us can edit it? Last I looked, there was nothing much, or perhaps nothing about fiddle in there. And since I've been playing a lot more fiddle lately ( although not really country blues, instead Country, and some blues, Country-Rock) I was considering whether I should suggest any entries or make some myself. But pretty much figured with Cleoma fairly regularly contributing, it is fairly well covered by an expert!

I'll have to visit the fiddle Blues page more and gradually check that stuff out, and revisit the original discussion thread.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2021, 04:55:34 PM »
David, at the risk of telling you more than you want to know, yes, the software used is the same as Wikipedia.  For awhile any weeniecampbell members could edit the wiki, but no one took advantage and we had problems linking the smf membership permissions to the wiki permissions (two different software packages). 

If anyone wants to contribute to the wiki... we can set them up... with some explaining and training.  It's powerful software as has been so beautifully demonstrated by Johnm's addition.  (Fantastic expansion John!)

Offline MarkC

« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2021, 06:28:29 PM »
John -

I do use Weeniepedia. I just took a look at the Guitar Accompanists page - that’s a great addition. Thank you.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2021, 06:07:45 AM »
I often use Weeniepedia for song lyrics, song keys and positions. A mine of information.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2021, 09:38:53 AM »
Thanks to those who responded, and thanks for the good words. I'm really glad that some of you are using Weeniepedia. There's quite a lot in there now.

One of the features I especially like is the Song Family page. You can check out multiple versions of songs that have been played and recorded a lot, and get ideas of different lyrics or melodies to some of the real warhorses like Boll Weevil, John Henry, Frankie or Stackerlee. Sound samples are not provided there, but you can find most of the versions that are transcribed there on youtube. Some of the more obscure versions have terrific lyrics, like Jewell Long's version of "Frankie" or Emry Arthur's, or Phineas Rockmore's version of Boll Weevil. It's neat to be able to do a different version of a song that people only know of in one or two versions. Or you can take lyrics and make up your own melody. If you're comfortable in the musical language, it's not necessary to base your own version on a pre-existing version all the time. Just a thought.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2021, 01:25:00 PM »
A bit late replying, but yeah, I dip into Weeniepedia. For song keys and positions or just to have a look see. Also, very much appreciate to time and effort that is put into it. Occasionally I'll have flights of fancy about contributing info about a particular artist (song key/position) but I'm feared I'll probably screw it up.

All the Best,
Ned

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2021, 03:41:58 PM »
Weeniepedia is my number 1 blues reference.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #147 on: December 20, 2021, 04:04:42 PM »
Hi all,
We just hit 3,300 Country Blues song lyrics transcribed in Weeniepedia, including 80 Blind Boy Fuller titles.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #148 on: December 20, 2021, 05:07:26 PM »
Amazing. Expectations wildly exceeded all round.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2022, 11:37:44 AM »
Hi all,
We recently passed the 3,400 mark for Country Blues song lyrics transcribed, and now stand at 3,402. Thanks to all who have participated in the process of getting the transcriptions as accurate as possible.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: Weeniepedia 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal