collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wouldn't treat a dog, baby like you treat me - Ishman Bracey, The Four Day Blues

Author Topic: Jug Band Tunes to Prep for PT  (Read 19036 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Jug Band Tunes to Prep for PT
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Hi JohnM - Just so it's clear, I don't want to be presumptuous in any way and suggest how any class should be run!  :D  :o I was mainly prattling on about having harp, mandolin, fiddle etc players who are familiar with some jug band material, or even just the styles, which would be great for playing this music in any context, whether it's outside the Schoolhouse, in 204 in a focused jam or at the weenie house. Basically an extension of the conversation Wax and I had. Wax mentions Emma Lee and I having gotten together to work on some fiddle/guitar tunes (and KC King on banjo uke, of course!) in past years. To play songs like Bootlegger's Blues or Bamalong Blues, Emma Lee, whose actual main instrument is piano, definitely bears most of the weight and worked on those fiddle parts before showing up at PT. I was of course enthusiastic about getting to play with a fiddler - let's play these 8 Mississippi Sheiks songs! these 3 Frank Stokes tunes! these Charley Patton and Son Sims tunes! - and she gave me a quick reality check: she had to learn them first (so would I, as it turns out!  :P).

Anyway, I was also momentarily confused in thinking that this jugband thread was partly a discussion that applied to the jug band focused jam as well.

So now that we know this thread is a more general repertoire building thread, I agree with Wax that we should keep any Jug Band focused jam discussion over in the Focused Jam thread.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 01:02:29 PM »
Gee, no wonder we find it so hard to play stuff together.  :P

<just a little joke>

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 08:05:20 PM »
OK, you get to start the jam...  8)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 08:19:30 PM »
I can always sing and play rhythm, but maybe I'll brush up on my harmonica - I agree that it is tough getting those lead or alternative instruments included.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 11:16:34 PM »
And you guys wonder why staff gets the big bucks!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 06:31:21 AM »
Haha!

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 10:56:09 PM »
JohnM wrote:
And you guys wonder why staff gets the big bucks!

The big money clearly corresponds to even bigger responsibilities! 
 ;)
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 09:22:25 PM »
OK, you get to start the jam...  8)

OK, I'm on it.  I pulled out my C harp tonight and worked on Viola Lee, piece of cake  :D  ..except that I have no embouchure and draw reeds 2 and 3 are shot.  However, I have placed an order for a couple of new Hering vintage harps on Cambio's and others recommendation in another thread (and here I thought I already had a life time of harps lying around).

I think harp may be my cb tact this year (since my usual dodgy cb guitar playing has taken a further hit from too much rockabilly and western swing)  ... and my swing guitar playing buddy will play jug band as well... so I can hopefully run through these on at least a semi regular basis.

Wax, that is the most complicated break down of a song I've ever seen, what the heck is a duple?  I figure I'll use my usual method for learning a song, listen to it continually for 3 or 4 days until I get it in my head, then play.... I think I'll save at least two days over your method.   :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:23:29 PM by Slack »

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »
Dear All:

Am off for an overnite in Chico...Claudia and I are riding 60 miles in the WildFlower (for us, the Flatflower part) Ride tomorrow. Back Sun nite.

Meanwhile, just want to chime in:

Thanks for the kudos, about my kazoo playing, Andrew.
Thanks for all the input, JohnM, JohnC, Andrew, and others.

I will try to attach lyrics to "Got Good Taters" and "Tappin' That Thing" in a day or 2. I learned Yank Rachell's tune and lyrics,( like Steve James also does it). If anyone has the other lyrics sung by the artist Andrew mentioned, they might be more authentic compared to the ones Yank covered.

Incidentally, John Cowan and I have been meeting and playing together over the past few weeks. We have too much water under the bridge, too many good experiences together to just let it drop. And to stay apart or angry takes lots more energy and time away from having fun and playing...So, we are mending bridges, and doing a bit more listening, which is always good. ;)

I will review our repertoire of JB tunes and try to nail down the melodies as learned for kazoo on a few of these tunes. Like Stealin' or On the Road Again, or Viola Lee, for example. We also do a guitar,jug,mando,kazoo jugband version of "Meat Shakin' Woman" by BBF, arranged by John, that offers kazoo responses to his verses. In the begining I found there is room in the kazoo responses for some improvisation while remaining true to the melody and feeling of the tune.

A-dee-uuh, a-dee-uh... that's all folks,
Buzz
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:32 AM »
Needing some simple songs to work on my harmonica embouchure, let's add "Going to Germany" - lovely tune.  Similar in scope to Viola Lee, key of G.  mp3 attached.

Going to Germany
Canon's Jug Stompers

G
I'm going to German, I'll be back some old day
               C
Going to German, I'll be back some old day
               D                                              G
Going to German, I'll be back some old day

Please tell me mama, what more can I do
Tell me mama, what more can I do
Done all I know'd how, can't get along with you

Ah, play it mr Lewis, play it play it...

Get away from my window, stop knocking on my door
Go away from my window, stop knocking on my door
I got another woman, can't use you no more

When youse in trouble, I worked and payed your fine
When youse in trouble, I worked and payed your fine
Now I'm just(in) trouble, you don't pay me no mind

Ah, play it Mr Lewis, ........

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »
I love this song. It's such a charmer. 

Offline deltaslim

• Blues & Roots
    • Delta Slim's Youtube Channel
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 02:16:34 AM »
Sorry to speak out of turn, but I'd love to hear/see you guys do the following if you're recording it on video and sharing later:

You may leave but this will bring you back
She ain't no good
Bill Morgan's Girl (My name is Morgan, but it ain't JP)
Can you blame the colored man

My own acoustic blues/jug band Jook Jam does these tunes (along w/ the usual suspects of Stealin, Walk Right In, etc) but only sparingly because we don't have a complete and permanent lineup with kazoo, washboard, jug, bass, playing all together.  You guys seem to have more than enough people to handle the chores.
"In life I was silent; In death I sweetly sing"

http://www.youtube.com/deltaslim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal