collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hello heaven, daddy wants to use your telephone... So you can call good daddy anytime when he's gone - Papa Harvey Hull & Long Cleve Reed, France Blues

Author Topic: Anybody use clip-on/lavalier/lapel mics or pickup for gtr?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Blues & Roots
    • Delta Slim's Youtube Channel
Anybody use clip-on/lavalier/lapel mics or pickup for gtr?
« on: April 22, 2007, 05:52:59 PM »
I'm trying to find a quick and easy solution to amplify my banjo, guitjo, 12string, and resonator for live performance (I've got a 000 that already has a built-in transducer with eq).  So far I've been micing them but most clubs I play at only provide omni-directional vox mics.  I'd like to be able to use one condenser mini-mic but transfer it within seconds to any other instrument without unplugging from my acoustic amp (Marshall AS100D).

I'm leaning toward using a clip-on/lavalier mic like those from Audio Technica (AT381 or PRO series), Crown GLM200 omni mini-mic, Shure SM98 lapel mic, or even Elderly's alligator clip transducer pickup. 

Can anyone share their experience with this or similar solutions?

PS - Eventually, I might get transducers for all of them but I've got several gigs lined up and can't part with the guitars for long period.  I'm anticipating it will take many months in total to research, select, purchase, and install the appropriate solution for each instrument.
"In life I was silent; In death I sweetly sing"

http://www.youtube.com/deltaslim

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Anybody use clip-on/lavalier/lapel mics or pickup for gtr?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 03:42:41 AM »
I've used a lapel mic a few times on my National when there hasn't been a spare mic, just jamming it in the f-hole and got a fair result, but as soon as the volume goes up feedback begins. OK in an emergency.

A better approach is to carry your own mic and stand - you'll get a better result and be in control. Good mics are small condensers like the AKG C1000 or a dynamic like the SM57.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 04:49:51 AM »
Mic and stand sounds sensible.

Bob Brozman gives some good advice on this on his site.  Its specifically about resonators, but I'm sure can be readily adapted, not least given that he uses charangos and weissenborns seemingly through the same mic.

http://www.bobbrozman.com/soundhints.html

Offline deltaslim

• Blues & Roots
    • Delta Slim's Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 06:22:35 PM »
Thanks, blueshome and Norfolk Slim (for the great article)!

I've thought a lot about the personal mic & stand approach and believed it is the best solution but am put off by my lack of knowledge and energy to set 'em up after hauling and setting up about 3-5 guitars, an acoustic gtr amp, and a double-gtr stand to the stage.  I guess I just have to suck it up.  :-)
"In life I was silent; In death I sweetly sing"

http://www.youtube.com/deltaslim

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal