collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday night is your big night. Everybody used to fry up fish and have one hell of a time. Find me playing till sunrise for 50 cents and a sandwich. And be glad of it. And they really liked the low-down blues - Muddy Waters

Author Topic: meaning of the blues box set  (Read 1761 times)

Offline jaycee

meaning of the blues box set
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:26:34 AM »
for those of you who are not aware, its the 50th anniversary of paul olivers, book. blues fell this morning, to celebrate this, jsp records have just released a 4 cd box set compiled by max haymes no less. plus a 1st for jsp records, it comes with an 80 page glossy booklet, written by max haymes. i reckon this will be the pre war blues release of the year. by a long long way. this really is a well thought out very classy release, and a fitting tribute to, paul oliver.
jaycee

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: meaning of the blues box set
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »
Found a link:

http://www.earlyblues.com/Meaning%20In%20The%20Blues%20-%20JSP%204-CD%20Set%20Intro.htm

(Other sources give it a 5/17 release date in the U.S.)

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »
While I think the 50th anniversary of Oliver's book is certainly worthy of celebration I have reservations about the project. Call me a curmudgeon but I'm just not a fan of Max Haymes. I have not been impressed with the liners I've read by him and found his Railroadin' Some a hard slog (I couldn't finish it). Also, personally, I would be more interested in collection of Oliver's 1960 recordings when he made recordings throughout the US. While much of this is available on Arhoolie, there's some unreleased material and out of print recordings plus all those interviews he recorded would be nice to have in longer format. Some snippets of these appeared on the companion record to Conversation With The Blues but I would love to hear more.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:38:22 PM »
Call me a curmudgeon but I'm just not a fan of Max Haymes. I have not been impressed with the liners I've read by him and found his Railroadin' Some a hard slog (I couldn't finish it).
The Blues & Rhythm reviewer wasn't too enamoured either detailing at length the literary and factual shortcomings of the work.

Offline jaycee

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 01:38:12 AM »
some interesting thoughts i personally think the tracks on the box set have been compiled very intelligently by max haymes. i have'nt read his notes in the booklet that comes with the set so i can't really comment just yet as to how well they have been written.
but i also own the railroadin' some book and found it a very absorbing read. but at the end of the day each to his own i suppose.
jaycee

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:44:06 AM »
Oh, Lord God!
I'm going to have to declare myself bankrupt. Actual financial bankruptcy, in addition to my habitual moral bankruptcy.
I've never heard of Max Haymes until just now, so cannot venture a valid, informed opinion of the bloke & his doings.

Tags: Paul Oliver 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal