collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't die until you're dead - Mississippi John Hurt

Author Topic: New Information About Paramount Blues Artist Blind Blake About to Be Revealed  (Read 22605 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
You are correct, Pan.  Extensive research has already been done by Akira Kikuchi of Japan surrounding the Blind Blake photograph taken in Grafton, WI, his size, his guitar, etc.....

Thank you for confirming this, and welcome to these parts of the internet, Angie. Looking forward to hear more.

Cheers

Pan

Offline TonyGilroy

I wonder if its related to this

http://www.tdblues.com/?p=879

from the Delta Blues site.

Offline ParamountAngie

Hi everyone!  I used to come on here years ago...perhaps as angmack but I couldn't remember my password so I decided to start a new account.  Blues & Rhythm Magazine is a highly credible blues source.  And the researchers involved have a strong history of being credible. 

I live in Grafton, WI where the Paramount recording studio was in existence between 1929 and 1932.  The record pressing plant was also located in Grafton.  The photography studio where Blake had his photo is also here!

Grafton was just put on the Mississippi Blues Trail as well.  There is a Paramount Plaza and Paramount Walk of Fame.  You bet Blind Blake is in it!  If anyone gets a chance to come to the area, it is the most interesting.  The Paramount Blues Festival is coming up this year Sept. 16 & 17.  Check it out at http://graftonblues.org

I do not have a subscription to Blues & Rhythm Magazine, so if somebody could alert me asap when they they see the article, I would greatly appreciate it!  I would love to answer questions and talk/share more once the article is released.....

Offline misterjones

misterjones,

Contrary to YOUR belief, the information is not "lame".

A thousand pardons.  I am a hopeless skeptic regarding all things, and certainly look forward to being proved wrong (and perhaps being justly hit by a rotten tomato or two).

My skepticism has been fed mostly by the disappointment over supposed newly-discovered film and photos and other information about Robert Johnson over the years, as well as the belief that the universe of known recordings of and information about pre-war blusemen who did not survive the war has been permanently closed for many years now.

Offline ParamountAngie

misterjones,

It's all good darlin'.  lol.  You actually made me laugh.  It's OK to be a skeptic.  Peace, Angie

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
New Information About Paramount Blues Artist Blind Blake About to Be Revealed
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 03:14:18 AM »
...as well as the belief that the universe of known recordings of and information about pre-war blusemen who did not survive the war has been permanently closed for many years now

Every time I think that, I'm proved wrong.  Look at the "lost" recodes that have come to light over the last few years - stuff by the likes of Blind Joe Reynolds, King Solomon Hill, and Son House.  And the Big Bill Broonzy, Son House, and John Hurt biographies that came out this year all contained significant new information about their subjects.  You never know when a family bible or police record will turn up.   

Offline TonyGilroy

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 04:44:44 AM »

The Lane Hardin information in this months Blues & Rhythm was pretty impressive.

The official records coming on line provide a rich source of new information.

Offline ParamountAngie

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 06:02:12 AM »
I'm with dj. 

Offline misterjones

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 07:46:48 AM »
True.  In large part I suppose I'm a victim of my own hopes (as opposed to expectations).  I'd like to see those unissued Okeh Blind Lemon Jefferson or some secular Blind Willie Johnson sides pop up somewhere.  A single 78 here and there should (but doesn't) get me that juiced.  And I'm admittedly not even remotely a blues scholar, so - in the absence of (say) someone definitively locating Johnson's body or a guitar used by Blind Lemon Jefferson - I likely wouldn't know the significance of newly-discovered information.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »
And one of those Frog annuals had Blind Lemon's death certificate, presented without a great deal of fanfare. And add Blind Blake to the "lost" records found list, too, with Night and Day/Sun to Sun popping up plus those unissued sides with Irene Scruggs. Plus that Willie McTell record everyone had overlooked somehow.

Offline jostber

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
Looking forward to reading this. Just renewed my subscription to Blues & Rhythm today! That article on Lane Hardin in the August issue was also great.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 06:02:17 AM »
Looks like the feature will be in B&R 263- PRE WAR BLUES RESEARCH : The Death of Blind Blake

http://www.bluesandrhythm.co.uk/index.html

Offline misterjones

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 07:45:10 AM »
That would be very interesting.  It may have been Son House - or maybe it was Big Bill Broonzy - who said he heard Blind Blake froze to death in Chicago.  I assumed - and I continue to assume - he was just confusing Blake with Jefferson.

Offline TonyGilroy

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 11:35:24 AM »
Just received the new issue of Blues & Rhythm with the promised article.

Full details of Blake's death (in 1934) with Death Certificate and Autopsy Report. Site of his grave and details of his widow's death. No guesswork - real results from excellent research.

A must read article.

Offline ParamountAngie

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 01:01:04 PM »
THE NEWS FINALLY HIT!!!!!  I AM NOW FREE TO TELL YOU that I have in my possession Blind Blake's death certificate and Coroner's Report which have been sought after for decades thanks to working with a team of international researchers.  This is BIG BLUES NEWS!!!! Just hit the UK via Blues & Rhythm Magazine.  I also know where he is buried and have visited his grave site many times. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal