collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Up 'til then, the blues were only inside me. Blind Lemon was the first to 'let out' the blues - Roscoe Holcomb

Author Topic: Smoky Babe  (Read 817 times)

Offline Vidal

Smoky Babe
« on: December 07, 2014, 03:40:57 AM »
A quick post to say that I have just purchased Smoky Babe's Way Back in the Country Blues, Harry Oster's lost recordings.  A few years back, via this forum, I was alerted to Louisiana Country Blues (Smoky Babe and Herman E Johnson), and on the strength of that I bought Hottest Brand Goin'.  This latest offering confirms my belief that Smoky Babe deserves a place right up there with some of the greats.  His guitar playing is some of the most uplifting of any blues player and his voice provides the perfect accompaniment.  If I get the time I may do a proper review; meanwhile, if you don't have his latest, or any of the others, I thoroughly recommend them.

Offline Dom94

• Howdy!
Re: Smoky Babe
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 07:33:53 AM »
I agree with you, it's a great album, There's never a dull moment
I wonder if he played with a 12 strings guitar as shown on the artwork.

Dom.
Playin' Blues is Freedom

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:38:03 AM »
Essential....as is all Smokey Babe.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 03:35:13 AM »
I believe the 12-string guitar was carried by Dr. Harry Oster who removed 6 where appropriate.

Smoky Babe was the business. I am eternally grateful to the late Simon Napier at Flyright Records who introduced me to his work - and the album was a cut-out, being reduced (if I remember correctly) to a miserly 99p. Money well spent!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 04:05:46 AM »
Presumably my copy arrives today. I bought Hottest Brand Going for $1.99 back in 1969 just on the off chance that it would be interesting. It quickly became one of my enduringly favorite records.
He has so much drive and swing in his playing and such an interesting vocal-guitar interplay that its hard to point to anyone who does it better. Whatever that guitar was, its sound suits him wonderfully.Blessings on Harry Oster for recognizing a good thing, and on Smoky of course!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 06:12:21 AM »
Anyone care to do a little review of the recent Smoky Babe lost recordings release?

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »
I've not been able to give it a thorough listen yet (as in fully attentive) But I will say that his version of Catfish Blues is the best I've heard outside of Robert Petway's original. Also his micro-timing, string attack and snap, just rock the house! Drives like a sunnummabitch!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Tags: Smoky Babe 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal