collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...and next up is Lovestick Steve... [and the crowd roars] - Thomas Corlett, Port Townsend 96, emcee at participants concert

Author Topic: Muddy Waters country Blues tuning  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Ron Mack

Muddy Waters country Blues tuning
« on: June 28, 2008, 05:55:10 PM »
Hello to all. Does any one know what tuning Muddy Waters used on the 1946 field recording of Country Blues? I found a tab online that has It tabbed out in standard tuning. It sounds like it's in open g tuned a half step down, but I'm not sure. Thanks.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Muddy Waters country Blues tuning
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »
Hi Ron,

I don't have my recording of this handy at the moment, but I'd say you are right that it is played in open G/Spanish tuning.

Offline Ron Mack

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »
Thanks Andrew.

Offline TJ

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:41:55 AM »
You are right about the spanish tuning, but Muddy was tuned down to what sounds like an open F# if you listen closely. That recording was made in 1941 actually when Alan Lomax from the Library of Congress came to Mississippi before he was to go to war searching for Robert Johnson. Alan ran into Son House and who told him that Robert was dead, so he was recorded instead. At the end of the day, Alan asked if there was anybody else he should meet to record from around the area. Son recomended a young 28-year-old who was at the time going by the name "Muddy Water" (before the S was added). Muddy was recorded the next day and started with 'Country Blues', his variation on 'Walkin' Blues'. There were plenty of interviews that are cool to listen to as well. Alan came back the next year to record Muddy and by the end Muddy had made $20! By 1946, Muddy was in Chicago. He did later record Walkin' Blues in Spanish tuning but tuned up to A with Big Crawford on bass and Muddy was on electric guitar. Band members were only added from there.

Offline Ron Mack

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:49:06 AM »
Thanks TJ for the history lesson and the correct tuning.

Ron

Tags: Muddy Waters 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal