collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Old Man Sargent, sitting at the desk, the damned old fool won't give us no rest. He'd take nickels off a dead man's eyes to buy a Coca-Cola and an Eskimo pie - Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues

Author Topic: Song Of The Moment: the schedule for 2015  (Read 16747 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Song Of The Moment: the schedule for 2015
« on: April 30, 2015, 03:18:18 PM »
Starting the week ending May 8th, we'll try a little thing I'm calling "song of the moment." We'll present a CB related song, essentially with a view towards getting weeniedom interested in listening to it and perhaps playing it, if you don't already. Here's the schedule we have so far:

weekparticipant (future) / topic (past)
8-MayThe Greyhound Bus
22-MayPal of Mine - Blind Willie McTell
5-JunI Got Mine - Frank Stokes
19-JunRed Cross Store
3-JulIn The Jailhouse Now
17-JulThe Venerable Pallet
31-JulDiamond Joe
14-AugRoll And Tumble
28-AugNobody Knows You
11-SepMean ol' Frisco, its antecedents and descendants
25-SepBottle It Up/Step It Up And Go
9-OctCrow Jane
23-OctCome Back Baby
6-NovMy Bucket's Got A Hole In It/You Can't Get In
20-NovLooking for the Bully of the Town
4-DecWhen The Saints
18-DecSitting On Top Of The World

If you'd like to contribute, just drop me a PM or respond to this thread and we'll get you a date.

Formatting your SOTM post:

1) start a new thread in the Back Porch

2) title the new thread using the following format:

SOTM <date>: <topic>

The <date> is the date you were assigned and <topic> is whatever you decide to post as your topic.

Try to post no earlier than the Monday of the week you were assigned and no later than the date itself. There's no actual penalty for early or late posting - we're just trying to keep a little  momentum.

Content and expectations:

Topics are neither pre-assigned nor approved. In general, anything you find interesting enough to write about will probably be interesting to read, think about and play. If you want to ensure that your topic will not be taken by someone else, feel free to contact the other participants to coordinate.

You might want to consider having a 'backup topic,' just in case. If you need ideas for a topic or help with content in any way, feel free to reach out to me.

Attachments and links:

When creating a post, you'll notice a link for "Attachments and other options" below the editing window. After you click on it, you'll see a browse button and from there, you can attach an MP3 or other file for your topic. The limit for the attachment size is just about 1MB, so compress aggressively when posting audio.

A word of caution: SAVE your text in notepad or some other text processor before attaching audio if you're not 100% positive of the attachment file size. If your file is too big and you try to submit the post, the forum software will HAPPILY tell you the attachment was too big, the post will fail and you will lose ALL of your text. You have been warned. CTRL + C is your friend.

Attachments will not show up in the post until published. Previewing the post will not show the attachment.

Youtube links:

Always use the link that youtube formats from the "Share" tab on the video page. You'll need to follow these steps:

1) copy the Share tab link from youtube
2) paste the link into the body of your post
3) remove the "s" from https:// in the link (the forum software doesn't like it)

From there, continue editing and post when ready. Previewing the post should confirm the link is embedded correctly. If you just see the link text rather than the video, something is wrong, so re-read the steps above and then if it still doesn't pan out, ask for help.

That's it!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Song of the moment: the schedule for 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »
Thanks to Mr. O'muck and Old Man Ned for volunteering! Take a look at the schedule and grab your spot!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Song of the moment: the schedule for 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »
harriet is in for 25-September...  thanks, harriet!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Song Of The Moment: the schedule for 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 01:09:29 PM »
I've updated the guidelines for the Song Of The Moment posts based on a few conversations I've had recently - please post any questions here. Thanks!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »
Thanks to Pan for volunteering for 18-Dec!

Only 4 more dates in 2015...  get your spot! :)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »
The SOTM post for 5-June is a bit late, but GhostRider is working on it and should have it posted in the next day or so - patience brings rewards! :)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 06:18:34 AM »
Just a reminder that there are three more spots left in 2015. If you enjoy the SOTM posts, please step up and contribute to the momentum! Lurkers and non-players welcome!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 04:52:43 AM »
Another bump for the three spots left in 2015:

6-Nov   ???
20-Nov   ???
4-Dec   ???

Takers?

Offline Suzy T

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »
I'd be up for doing Nov. 20.  How about Bully of the Town for a song?  Or has that already been done?

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »
You're in, Suzy!  Old Man Ned has heroically volunteered for a SECOND tour of duty on the 4th of December, even before he completes his first (coming up soon). That's a great idea for a topic! The complete list of topics covered so far is in the list at the top of this thread, and if you want to ensure no one is already working on that, consider reaching out to a few of the upcoming contributors to coordinate.

Just one more date in 2015 - 6-Nov...  who's got it?

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 06:45:56 AM »
I'll take it.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 12:28:11 PM »
Fantastic, Lastfirstface - you're in! Thanks!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
Hi all - we have an unexpected vacancy for the 25th of September, the next SOTM... any takers?

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »
Hi all - we have an unexpected vacancy for the 25th of September, the next SOTM... any takers?

Well I guess I might be able to come up with an idea, unless someone else is more willing and prepared to jump in. It'll, of course, ruin my plans for december. :)

Cheers

Pan

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 04:33:10 PM »
Hi Pan - would you be interested in swapping your date or adding the 25th of Sep?

Essentially, if we can't find any takers for the 25th, we'll have to punt as I've got my head in some other stuff at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:45:41 PM by frankie »

Tags: SOTM 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal