Country Blues > Weenie Campbell Main Forum

Introductions: When the Roll is called...

<< < (2/175) > >>

uncle bud:

--- Quote from: Slack on August 18, 2004, 01:26:23 PM ---In any case I'm Slack (aka JohnD).

--- End quote ---

He looks exactly as pictured, too...

frankie:

--- Quote from: uncle bud on August 18, 2004, 01:45:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: Slack on August 18, 2004, 01:26:23 PM ---In any case I'm Slack (aka JohnD).

--- End quote ---

He looks exactly as pictured, too...

--- End quote ---

But only when he's percolating.

uncle bud:
While I've owned a guitar since I was a teenager - not quite as long ago as some of the folks here :) - I didn't start playing seriously until about 8-10 years ago, and have been playing country blues for about seven or so, I think. I got into through wondering who those Mississippi Sheiks were that Bob Dylan was covering on a couple records from the 90s. I already owned the Robert Johnson set and listened to that seriously for the first time, then started on a slippery slope of CDs purchases - first Charlie Patton and the Master of Delta Blues records on Yazoo which was the beginning of the end. A now-much-missed acoustic blues series at the Montreal Jazz Festival where I saw Paul Geremia, Steve James, Rory Block, Honeyboy Edwards, Alvin Youngblood Hart and many others cemented the obsession.

I'm actually a reformed drummer who played in rock bands, studied music for a couple years playing percussion and some jazz. All in the past now (and most of it forgotten) and I'm devoted to CB, guitar, learning mandolin, and hopefully one day some banjo and fiddle.

I was one of those 7 or 8 readers of frankie's much needed pedantic rants on rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic, we started emailing, and he put me in touch with Slack and the original Weenie listserv. All of a sudden I found myself on the other side of the continent at Port Townsend, meeting people I'd only known electronically for a year, much to the spouse's great terror (she's all for it now).

Let us know how you heard of WeenieCampbell.com if you feel like it. It helps us figure out what we're doing right...

GhostRider:
Hi:

Name's Alex Knox. I learned to play guitar in the early 1970's (old Harmony semi-acoustic) and was just a strummer until I heard a guy in a bush camp finger picking folks tunes (kumbya-style) in 1982. I thought it sounded good, and I decided to try to combine fingerpicking with blues (I had never heard of Country Blues). My introduction was to Gary Davis (instructional book), but then I discovered Blind Blake and I was hooked.

In the space of a couple of years I had bought about 60 re-release vinyl albums of CB, from Yazoo, O. Jazz Library, etc. all by mail order. Bought all the TAB I could find and sat down to learning. Took a while...

I have only be transcribing tunes myself for 7-8 years. Long and slow at the beginning

In real life I'm a mineral exploration geologist living in Calgary, Canada. I'm away from home for long periods working, so I get lots of time to play. Doesn't help with the romance side though.

6'2", 56 years (2009), single. Like whiskey, bridge and the blues! Tolerent of pinko Quebecers

Why GhostRider? Don't ask!

I came across Weeniecampbell as a link on another blues website (which escapes me at the present). joined in January 2004 and waded right in. I remember Slack thinking my first post was out-to-lunch (but said in a very nice way) (in the Little Hat Jones lyric thread).

Tall, dark and 2 out of 3 ain't bad,
Alex

Slack:

--- Quote ---Tolerent of pinko Quebecers
--- End quote ---

Ah, there's nothing like a little Port Townsend bonding.  :P

--- Quote ---I came across Weeniecampbell as a link on another blues website (which escapes me at the present). joined this January and waded right in. I remember Slack thinking my first post was out-to-lunch (but said in a very nice way) .
--- End quote ---

Ha!  I vaguely remember this - I wonder if it is still on the forum.  BTW, I may be sending you a NY Times article  - in my never ending and difficult task of straightening you out.    ;)

Cheers,
Slack

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version