collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Dr. Dominicker, what is your text going to be next Sunday?" "Well brother fowls and sister fowlettes, my text next Sunday will be taken from the Bed of Feathers." "The Bed of Feathers?" "Titled 'If the Rooster Had a Toothache, Would the Hen Pull It?'" - Honeyboy and Sassafras, "The Chicken Sermon" on Cluck Old Hen - A Barnyard Serenade (Old Hat)

Author Topic: Mike Seeger in concert, 5-May-07  (Read 1812 times)

Offline outfidel

Mike Seeger in concert, 5-May-07
« on: May 06, 2007, 12:49:09 PM »
Last night, I had the pleasure of seeing Mike Seeger perform for a folk club in Paramus NJ. Mike played the full range of old time songs on old time acoustic instruments -- banjo (gourd & open back), guitar (a Martin 00-17), fiddle, autoharp, Jews harp, harmonica, and panpipes. He also sang a field holler acappella. Songs that he played included Freight Train, St Ann's Reel, Georgie Buck, Sourwood Mountain, Molly and Tenbrooks, Sally Anne, Shady Grove, an abolitionist-era song on gourd banjo, and many many others.

On one song, Seeger did something that I've never seen or heard before: he sang the song while accompanying himself on fiddle *and* rack harp.

For an encore, Mike came out and asked for requests. Sitting in the first row, I shot up my hand & asked to hear "Wildwood Flower" (which he teaches on his Carter Family Guitar Styles DVD). Mike then decided to bring up two audience members to join him on the song -- Tony Trishka (world-class banjo player) and Drew Smith (world-class autoharp player). Great stuff!

I posted a few more pics are here
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 01:59:40 PM by outfidel »
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal