collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Got a head full of foolishness, my baby got a ramblin' mind. - Jaybird Coleman

Author Topic: Michael Powers in NYC  (Read 1245 times)

Offline doctorpep

Michael Powers in NYC
« on: July 04, 2008, 05:11:42 AM »
About two weeks ago, I saw Michael Powers perform in NYC's Terra Blues club. It's a very small place with a nice atmosphere. I was previously unaware of Powers and only went to the club because the show was seven dollars and supposedly Blues-related. He did "Hey Joe", "Killing Floor", a version of Muddy's "Honey Bee", with different lyrics, "Little Wing", and some odd Jazz-Fusion song with a trumpet player. He was accompanied by members of the Papa Hoodoo Medicine Show, whose music I enjoyed a lot more that night than at B.B. King's club in Manhattan the previous month. The Powers show started at 10:30. I left a little before 12, due to transportation issues. However, I was told the show would last until 3:30 AM! The man was unbelievable on the guitar and is a strong indication of what Hendrix would sound like (and even look like) had he have lived to be 60 something years old. Unfortunately, I'm much more into Country Blues than Blues-Rock, so this show wasn't exactly my type of thing. Still, it was quite enjoyable and I can see why he's up for a W.C. Handy Award. I got in touch with his manager. I attended the concert with three friends of Korean descent, and pointed this out to the manager in an e-mail just to see if he remembered me. He then said that he'd "love to get Michael over to Asia". I think he'd be extremely popular in Japanese Blues clubs; not too sure about the market for Blues in Korea or China. I did manage, however, to pick up a lousy Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis disc, and a wonderful Little Walter disc ("Confessin' The Blues") here in Seoul the other day, so who knows, right? I'm probably going a little off topic, but the store I bought the discs at had lots of old Count Basie records and Prestige/Bluesville stuff on record. There were two middle-aged men working there, and they knew of Memphis Slim, Bukka White, Fred McDowell, Lightnin' Hopkins and Jelly Roll Morton. At any rate, if you're willing to hear some great Blues-Rock, check out Powers!
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal