collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She runs a weenie stand, way out in no man's land, oh boy, that's where my money goes - Riley Puckett, Nobody's Business

Author Topic: One Man Band List  (Read 19287 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: One Man Band List
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 01:29:37 AM »
I dont think I can see Paul Geremia- who plays a mean rack harp with guitar.

Offline daveharrisonemanband

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 02:11:18 AM »

I dont think I can see Paul Geremia- who plays a mean rack harp with guitar.
You're right and I'll add him for a mention. I've got to draw the line somewhere on the guitar / rack harp guys. I let them in because the early old time country guys were often referred to as OMBs. But at some point I've got to stop, so my idea was to draw the line at the post Dylan era. I mentioned Neil Young and Doc Watson. I'll maybe add Geremia, Guy Davis and a few more but they will strictly be mentioned, no added info. I'm thinking I'll do a couple of paragraphs on the washboard guys too. The book looks to be enormous, at the rate I'm going. I could probably pull a blues / old time book out of it. Almost thinking of two books but for now I'm just trying to stay the course. Thanks for the food for thought!

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »
He's not CB, but I noticed that Keller Williams was conspicuously absent from your present-day performers list.  He uses digital loops to make his sound, and I'm trying to remember if he actually ever plays two instruments at once.  Whatever the case, he is a one-man-band for sure.  There's also an Australian guy in this vein, who loops guitar/didgeridoo live.

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 02:29:37 PM »
He's not CB, but I noticed that Keller Williams was conspicuously absent from your present-day performers list.  He uses digital loops to make his sound, and I'm trying to remember if he actually ever plays two instruments at once.  Whatever the case, he is a one-man-band for sure.  There's also an Australian guy in this vein, who loops guitar/didgeridoo live.
Okay, maybe I never laid this out. The OMBs in this book will be ones that play their instruments with "heads, hands and feet". I may mention the looping OMBs but they won't get more than a paragraph. There are enough guys doing it manually to fill a large book easily. Still, a worthy point. Speaking of which, does anyone know whether Xavier Rudd ever plays solo? Everything I've found so far (I haven't been detailed about it) seems to show him with other musicians. Also trying to find Blind Joe Hill - First Chance L+R LP, doesn't seem to be on CD. Anyone know? Thanks! 

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 10:36:12 PM »
I just caught a bad Gene Autry movie called The Old Corral, and in one scene, Gene's sidekick, Smiley Burnette, plays accordion, rack harp, tambourine, and glockenspiel with the mallets strapped to the tops of his boots. Impressive. From 1936. Not on YouTube as far as I can tell. Sons of the Pioneers also feature in the movie, as did Frankie Marvin. It's still bad. Smiley is definitely the best thing the movie has going for it.

There are claims Smiley could play 100 instruments. Not all at the same time.

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 06:40:31 PM »
That's great! I'll add Smiley Burnette to my list with mention of the movie. Thanks.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 06:22:07 AM »
Tony's Russell's book Blacks, Whites and Blues, republished now as part of Yonder Come the Blues, describes a fellow named Sammy Brown of Lexington, Ky., as a "black one-man band." The white singer Welby Toomey "recalled travelling up to the Gennett Studios in Richmond, Ind." with him. Brown "had six fingers on each hand and played guitar, drums and so forth. Toomey's November 1927 recordings had guitar accompaniment with occasional harmonica and 'jazzbow', and it sounds likely that Brown saw to all of this." Which would make this another early integrated recording session if so.

I'm not familiar with these recordings, perhaps others here are.

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 10:33:59 AM »
Apparently all four of these sides with Welby Toomey were rejected.   The two issued sides by Sammy Brown are on DOCD-5169 : Barrel House Blues (vcl w/gtr acc.) and Jockey Blues (vcl w/piano acc.).   If he was a one-man band, you'd never know it from these cuts.

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 04:26:20 PM »
Thanks folks, I guess I missed him! Anyway, I'll add this in with the thought that his OMB status is unclear.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 06:23:36 AM »
Mr. O'Muck posted this Phil Wickenden video on facebook, and as I shared it, Parlor Picker suggested that I'd post it here too. Somewhat frustrating for a guitarist, maybe?  :P Anyway, here you go:

Cheers

Pan

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »
that's top notch ingenuity  8)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
One man bands
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 09:21:46 PM »
Not sure it is an interest, but some wild pictures.  Would love to hear some of these guys.

http://www.polarityrecords.com/one-man-band-vintage-photos.html

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: One man bands
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 12:31:21 AM »
Perhaps these super photos should be moved to an earlier OMB topic. Just a thought.

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8450.msg70917;topicseen#msg70917

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 08:27:23 AM »
How about this one - one man band list?

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 08:36:30 AM »
In his Perfect Sound Forever interview Peter Stampfel of the Holy Modal Rounders talks about how his five string Paramount banjo came from a one-man-band musician who called himself Herman the Hermit. I was intrigued enough to google around for a picture of him and found this Google Books archive copy of the May 1945 issue of Popular Mechanics where he shows up in an article:

http://tinyurl.com/hermanhermit

Tags: one man bands 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal