collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
In 1950, Mrs. [Franklin D.] Roosevelt took Josh on a concert tour of Europe. In England, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Scotland, he sang to sell-out crowds. Fifty thousand people showed up for one concert in Stockholm and at an Ambassador's party on Copenhagen; even the King of Denmark sat on the floor and joined in singing spirituals. In England, Princess Margaret asked Josh to sing Don't Smoke In Bed - Peter Rachtman, July, 1961 issue of 33 Guide, on Josh White's earlier visits to Europe

Author Topic: CDs/Sets You're Listening To  (Read 71338 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: CDs/Sets You're Listening To
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »
Not quite country blues- but i recently took delivery of Seasick Steve's "Dog House Music".  Great fun- hilbillyish / hill countryish slide / shuffle stuff.  Sometimes with a battered 3 string guitar.

This guy made a massive name for himself appearing on Jools Hollands New Years Eve show a year ago and brought the house down. 

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 01:14:12 AM »
Not quite country blues- but i recently took delivery of Seasick Steve's "Dog House Music".  Great fun- hilbillyish / hill countryish slide / shuffle stuff.  Sometimes with a battered 3 string guitar.

This guy made a massive name for himself appearing on Jools Hollands New Years Eve show a year ago and brought the house down. 

I first encountered him a couple of years before that on Charlie Gillett's excellent radio programme on BBC London. At the time there was also a great video on the internet, which I believe had been produced by his Norwegian record company.  It had great footage of him reprising his former role of vagrant.  The guy really rocks and would not be out of place on the Fat Possum label.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »
Dare I mention these two CDs after the previous posts! But here we go, the new transcriptions of RJ and say what you will they are a revelation compared to all the old LPs and other previous CD issues  :P
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Cooljack

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »
I've really been getting back into Sylvester Weavers first Document volume, I really like his song "Poor Boy Blues" which dosen't seem to have any/much of a relationship to the traditional "Poor Boy Long Ways from Home", I think it's one of those songs where he plays the song out a bit too long as he only manages to get a couple of verses in there (constrained by the 3 minuite limit it would seem).

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 12:00:54 PM »
Well errr..... 1950s Buddy Rich is certainly not CB and neither is Sam Ku West but they can both play that's for sure  ;)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 07:50:37 PM »
On another recommendation I am listening to the Sparks Brothers cd on Document. Great stuff!!!!!

RJ

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 05:52:15 PM »

This album has been laying untouched on my shelves for a long time and as soon as I turned it on I recalled how great Furry really is.

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »
The Furry disc is excellent. His Document recordings and his stuff from 1959 are priceless! I have an extra copy that I could sell on Amazon.com and get 30 dollars for, but I just don't want to sell it!
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 06:23:47 PM »
The Furry disc is excellent. His Document recordings and his stuff from 1959 are priceless! I have an extra copy that I could sell on Amazon.com and get 30 dollars for, but I just don't want to sell it!

I'll keep an eye out for that one somewhere.

I just got back from Borders Books & Music Store and picked up this great 1961 Roosevelt Sykes album. Produced by Memphis Slim

Offline jostber

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 01:47:32 PM »

Offline jostber

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 01:57:47 PM »
Now listening to this wonderful collection, CD1:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:02:51 PM by jostber »

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 03:42:18 PM »
Now listening to this wonderful collection, CD1:

That set has been sold at my local Borders store twice now before I could get enough money to buy it for myself.

Offline Flatd7

• Pre War Blues, Country, Bluegrass & Gospel Music
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 07:48:54 AM »
I've been enjoying the "How Low Can You Go?" Anthology of the String Bass. A very nice set.

http://dust-digital.com/bass.htm

I've also had my head deep inside the
"A Richer Tradition" Country Blues and Stringband Music collection from JSP.

http://www.elderly.com/recordings/items/JSP7798.htm

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 10:08:37 AM »

this one...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jostber

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2008, 03:19:55 PM »
Wonderful collection - Newport Folk Festival: Best of Blues 1959-1966

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal