collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When you go down on Deep Ellum, keep your carburator clean, 'cause the women on Deep Ellum sell you dirty gasoline - Bill Neely, Deep Ellum Blues documentary

Author Topic: Who is this ???  (Read 2902 times)

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Who is this ???
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »
The only way to get relatively error-free data on CDs you rip is to carefully proofread the information that shows up as you rip, then carefully proofread what you just edited.

Truer words were never spoken. And then submit the corrected version to the database. Hopefully it will replace the defective one--but don't bet the family jewels on it.

When our band's CD came out, the very first thing I did was pop one in the computer and fill out all the information, then proofread it twice and submit it to CDDB, because I wanted to make sure people had the correctly spelled listings, etc. I find typos in my iTunes all the time and it drives me nuts (and I looked for mistakes as I was importing things, too!).

Offline mr mando

Re: Who is this ???
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
mr mando, your original post seemed perfectly clear to me, I was just reiterating, and mainly adding the discographical information.

Oh, thanks to let me know! I always feel a little insecure about wording whole paragraphs in foreign (to me) languages. Good to get the feedback that it worked this time.

I'm a little bemused to have started a meta-discussion about meta-data. I would rather have discussed Jelly Roll Morton's relation to the guitar.
Maybe I can bring the discussion back to topic with the following two excerpts from the LoC interviews:

Lomax: Did they used to call you sissy?

JRM: Er, well, no, they didn?t . . . they didn?t call me sissy, but they always said that, er, that, er, a piano was a girl?s instrument. So then I had taken to the guitar, er, that was due to the fact that my godmother was always interested in me. And I become to be a very efficient guitarist, until I met, er, Bud Scott, one of the famous guitarists in this country today. I was known to be the best. And when I found out that, er, he was dividing with me my popularity, I decided immediately to quit playing guitar and try the piano, which I did secretly ? that is, with the exception of my family. They?re the only ones that knew.

Considering the fact that JRM usually could live up to all his braggings concerning the piano, it's too bad that there are no representative recordings of his playing, especially as the guitar seems to have been his first instrument:

Lomax: You didn?t know the trombone or the cornet or . . . ?

JRM: Oh, yes. I, er . . . My first instrument was the guitar. Er, then later I played drums. I played, er, what you call . . . at that time they call ?em trap drums ? that was one, one man beat two drums.

Wondering which style(s) guitar players from JRM's generation in New Orleans played, I remembered the recordings of Frank Amacker. Stylistically, they are much more old fashioned and way less complex than Johnny St Cyr's playing on the track that Richard posted. Does anyone have knowledge of recordings of early 20th century guitar styles in New Orleans??

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal