collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The blues - that is a feeling that makes you feel very bad. The blues'll give you sickness - from there's a pain you've never had. Now here's the way the blues go - it'll jump on you early in the morning. It'll worry you 'til you go to sleep. Then after you fall to sleep, you get to dreamin' them bad old dreams and it give you nothing but the bad old midnight creeps - Lightnin' Hopkins', spoken intro to Blues Is A Feeling

Author Topic: Phonautograph Article in NY Times  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Phonautograph Article in NY Times
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »
For those of you who aren't members of the PWBG, Mary Katherine just posted the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/yqa7zy

Full URL:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/arts/27soun.html?scp=1&sq=%22jody+rose

Elijah posted, "For those who are intrigued by this story, the Times website includes an mp3 of the recording--just ten seconds, but it's the oldest ten seconds of sound we are ever likely to hear......."

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Phonautograph Article in NY Times
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:22:30 PM »
POPS N' CLICKS BABY!

:D

1860, amazing

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 02:41:27 PM »
What is PWBG?
This is freaky exciting! 1860- Vincent Van Gogh was seven years old when this recording was made.
Abraham Lincoln was elected president in that year. It staggers the imagination.
Does anybody remember a twilight zone or outer limits where a guy discovered that sound had been etched randomly into rocks, like the sounds of battle at Gettysburg etc. and this guy all of a sudden started hearing them ,or learned how to extract the sound? I was always intrigued by that idea, it never sounded entirely implausible to me that sound waves could have been randomly inscribed in places.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 03:16:22 PM »
What is PWBG?

PWBG is a the "Pre-War Blues Group" (or "Pre-War Blues List")--a Yahoo group. Many of us subscribe. I can't recall with absolute certainty the procedure for subscribing--Slack, Andrew, Waxwing, and of course Bunker Hill--your assistance is required on this one.

(Secret handshake required--a password will not due! ;))

P.S. Lots of action over there today.

Edited to add: Regarding the Phonautograph, for me Bo Diddley's line, "You should have heard just what I seen" will never be the same.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 04:29:24 PM by Stuart »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal