collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Fourteen Black Pattis, the most ever found in a single place, now sat in a neat stack in front of Joe Bussard. "Some man gave 'em to my sister back in 1927," the old man was explaining. "We played 'em once, but we don't care much for blues and such, so we packed 'em away and they've been there ever since - Joe Bussard, story by Eddie Dean, washingtoncitypaper.com

Author Topic: Rambler Blues  (Read 2347 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Rambler Blues
« on: April 24, 2004, 10:24:04 PM »
I've always loved this tune, both for the lyrics and the way the guitar & voice relate (or not) to one another.  It's in the key of G (std tuning) and I tuned down a whole step to give my voice a break - turns out the guitar sounds kinda cool down that low, anyway.  It was a real challenge to put the vocal together on this one, both in terms of the timing and the melody.  There are quite a few places where the melody jumps up to a high G, the hardest one for me being in the "If you take my rider" verse...  Lemon was a vocal gymnast and I'm more like a vocal couch potato! 

The vocal started really coming together this afternoon when I caved in and tuned down.  All day I've been having fun trying to cozy up to the overall looseness of the tune.  It definitely seems to me like the kind of tune where expression will take you a lot further than outright accuracy.

Anyway, usual disclaimers apply...

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Rambler Blues
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 11:26:23 PM »
Well, we're all a little closer to havin' a Ramblin' Frank Hour on our mp3 players. Sounds great Frank. I happen to really like your vocal style. But you really have such a nice looseness in the guitar. Expressiveness is really the word for it. And the Fraulini sounds really cool down there. I been keepin' my little Stella down to D some lately, playin' some of the Robert Wilkins stuff, and it's a lot easier to sing New Lovin' Blues down there, too. Actually, I been switching it between Vestapol at D and Standard at D. Keep 'em comin', you're an inspiration to us all.
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 12:15:20 AM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 07:50:54 AM »
Thanks, John!  I'm glad you like it.  I noticed something this morning - there's this cool signature lick that Lemon uses as a fill during the "Don't you house look lonesome" verse - a great one that shows up in other tunes like this one:  Deceitful Brownskin, Got the Blues, Crawlin' Baby...  I totally forgot about it!  Rats!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 06:20:20 PM »
Nice Frankie! One of my favorite Lemon tunes. I remember trying to figure it out, thinking, 'This should be easy.' Not. Asked Ari at if he played it, hoping for insight, but he didn't do it. John's right about about the looseness, which is what this tune is all about - kind of a tightrope of looseness.? :D

Edited to add: I also finally know what he's doing after the 2nd "When I left my home, I left my baby cryin'", among other things.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 06:42:03 PM by uncle bud »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 06:53:37 PM »
I remember trying to figure it out, thinking, 'This should be easy.' Not.

All the juicy stuff seems to happen underneath Lemon's vocal, so it tends to get overpowered by it.? I guess you could say I'm essentially faking it, 'cause you can't really hear it too well.? He does use that same figure in a lot of G tunes:? Broke and Hungry, Crawlin' Baby, Deceitful Brownskin...?

John's right about about the looseness, which is what this tune is all about - kind of a tightrope of looseness.? :D

I think I sussed out the main part of the guitar stuff a while ago, but never could find the cojones to try and sing it until recently.? It's where the vocal syncs up with the guitar that's such a puzzle...? Lemon's phrasing sounds as if it's totally disconnected, but after working it out, it's clear that his sense of where the guitar and vocal lines intersect is unerring.? How he came up with something like that is just utterly beyond my comprehension!

HardLuckChild

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 10:55:07 AM »
That was great Frankie! You did an excellent rendition of "Rambler Blues." You're a very talented musician- more talented than a lot of the so-called "professional" musicians today. I'd love to hear your renditions of other blues tunes! Even though you aren't a rural black man born in 1900, your vocals seemed very authentic and not forced. Good job!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal