collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
My boss had us all gather 'round. He said "The computer's gonna make, they gonna make your work easier. Don't you worry 'bout a thing". But don't you know, don't you know, when the work is too easy, Lord they don't need you no more. Computer took my job away from me - Maurice John Vaughan, Computer Took My Job

Author Topic: 2013 Blues Images Calendar  (Read 4095 times)

Offline unezrider

2013 Blues Images Calendar
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »
hello friend,
stumbled across this good news the other day! it's not up on the blues images website yet, but it is available for pre order on amazon. as always, theres a few tracks on there i'm anxious to hear. (not to mention the unreleased photos!)

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Blues-Artwork-1920s-Calendar/dp/B008I9ILPQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1343316773&sr=1-2&keywords=blues+images+calendar
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:37:35 AM by unezrider »
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline CF

Re: 2013 Blues Images Calendar
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:36:44 AM »
The Spruell/Washboard Sam titles are Sam's first recordings in April of 1935 [B&GR (1997)] & are not to be found on the Complete Documents so they're pretty rare but I have no idea if they've ever been reissued on LP or CD. Also, one of the Patton 'Some of these Days' is listed as 'unreleased'. How many versions does that make at this point?
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »
Here's hoping the Blind Willie Davis cuts are from a better copy than I know of. That will be nice to hear.

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »
Here's hoping the Blind Willie Davis cuts are from a better copy than I know of. That will be nice to hear.

It wouldn't surprise me if these are from a much better copy. This record sold on Ebay not long ago in something like E condition. My guess is Tefteller got it.
Jeff

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
Also, one of the Patton 'Some of these Days' is listed as 'unreleased'. How many versions does that make at this point?

Take 1 has been out on CD before.  The "unissued" refers to the fact that it was not issued by Paramount back when it was recorded.

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »
The Spruell/Washboard Sam titles are Sam's first recordings in April of 1935 [B&GR (1997)] & are not to be found on the Complete Documents so they're pretty rare but I have no idea if they've ever been reissued on LP or CD. Also, one of the Patton 'Some of these Days' is listed as 'unreleased'. How many versions does that make at this point?

With Document you kind of take for granted that just about everything's been reissued but you're right, these don't appear on any of my Document discs. According to Stefan's Spruell discography they don't appear to be reissued anywhere. Most of the really rare records come from the depths of the great depression but this one's from 1935 and on Bluebird so you wouldn't think it would be that scarce.

I was really hoping this would be the year Tefteller found the Willie Brown record...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:38:01 PM by jharris »

Offline CF

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:27:38 AM »
I was really hoping that we had another wonderful Spruell vocal to enjoy . . . a little bit of a cheat how that song is labeled as Washboard Sam is the vocalist & Spruell & Carl Martin accompany on guitar.

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Online Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
FWIW, on the Real Blues Forum, it is said that "Peach Orchard Mama" by Blind Lemon Jefferson, is an unissued (?) second take.  I haven't purchased the calendar as yet, so I don't know what to think.  Have any of you?

Cheers

Pan

Edited to Cheapfeet's correction; two takes are indeed mentioned by B&GR.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:28:11 PM by Pan »

Offline CF

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »
Hey that's great news, PEACH ORCHARD MAMA is listed twice in B&GR, one recording in c. March 1929 (Pm 12801) & another c. August (also listed as Pm 12801 but each has their own matrix #s). My JSP box lists the c. March recording on the back of Disc D but says in brackets '(Untraced Master)' so that must be what we're dealing with . . . freakin' A, more 'new' Blind Lemon!!  O0

Online Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »
Hey that's great news, PEACH ORCHARD MAMA is listed twice in B&GR, one recording in c. March 1929 (Pm 12801) & another c. August (also listed as Pm 12801 but each has their own matrix #s). My JSP box lists the c. March recording on the back of Disc D but says in brackets '(Untraced Master)' so that must be what we're dealing with . . . freakin' A, more 'new' Blind Lemon!!  O0

Thanks Cheapfeet, right you are about B&GR, I should have double checked.

Cheers

Pan

Offline CF

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »
The only reason I even knew to look Pan was because I half-remembered that note on the JSP CD, otherwise I'd be assuming it was recorded the same time as the one we already have & wouldna found it.
I wonder if Tefteller knows about the alt take of 'Blind Lemon's Penitentiary Blues' fellow Weenie Blind Arthur hipped us to several years back? 
He discerned it aurally from a Tradition CD release [apologies, I seem to bring this up often :)] so it's out there (don't know availability of the CD) but maybe John would like it for a future release?

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »
Mine just arrived in the afternoon mail. I'll try to listen to it later and report back.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:31:57 PM by Stuart »

Offline CF

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »
Mr. Tefteller is mentioning MORE finds to be added to the 2014 Blues Images calendar CD (including the two newly discovered Blake's of course) over at FB & says they are takes of an unissued Paramount 13000 . . .

Paramount 13000s
http://www.danielwhartwig.com/records/disc/paramount13000.html

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »
On this year's calendar, not in the main images but in the small ones on the actual calendar pages, there were two pictures new to me -- one, the young Furry Lewis wearing a bow tie (not the same pic as on the front of the Document CD) and finally a decent version of the Henry Thomas pic from the Vocalion ads -- you can actually see what he looked like. Hope these get reproduced bigger somewhere (assuming they're of the quality to be blown up).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal