collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I didn't like the way he sang. He was my brother, but he just had a way (Sings) 'Saddle up my pony, hook up my black maaaaare...' I didn't like that!... Now he picks good, but he just brings that song out, like there's somebody choking to death - Sam Chatmon on Charley Patton, from Giles Oakley's The Devil's Music, BBC

Author Topic: Country blues legends that you just don't like  (Read 20008 times)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: Country blues legends that you just don't like
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2011, 01:48:30 AM »
At the end of the day, this thread is virtually pointless, as we all have varying tastes, which is a good thing, as witnessed by a sign outside a church in Bradford I saw in the late sixties and have never forgotten: "No two men are alike, and both are glad of it."

Amen!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »
At the end of the day, this thread is virtually pointless, as we all have varying tastes, which is a good thing, as witnessed by a sign outside a church in Bradford I saw in the late sixties and have never forgotten: "No two men are alike, and both are glad of it."

Amen!

Double amen, PP, thanks so much for stating the obvious. Someone else here said it best, there are performers that I haven't "gotten" yet, with a surprisingly large number that at one time I did not like, but I eventually came around to appreciating them. Case in point -- and only because I happen to be listening to him at the moment -- Memphis Willie B. At one time I just blew him off as someone stuck in a shuffle mode, then someone here started a lyric thread for his songs and I gave him another shot . . . sho 'nuff, I found lots of stuff going on that I didn't hear before.

Lindy

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »

Amen!

It's only pointless in the same way as those ranking who you think's the best topics are... it's just people saying what they think - it's interesting to hear people's opinions and maybe you agree or curse them under your breath 

I however don't really dislike any particular country-blues artist, I never really enjoy listening to any of them string bands- and i find big bill broonzy a bit too timid but then i think that's the case with most "urban" blues
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »
Hi all,
Maybe we should merge it with the "My least favorite vegetable" thread or the "Talk Show Hosts I don't Like" thread.  This would allow for greater opportunities to express opinions.  Face it, this thread is a major snooze--a way to join in when you have nothing else to offer.  Let's call a spade a spade.
All best,
Johnm

Offline CF

« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2011, 11:07:06 AM »
Yep, let me conjur all my elegance & state THIS THREAD IS STUPID.

About the last thing I want to hear, personally, is a bunch of 21st century souls on computers state what they don't like about people who's life circumstances & talents are often waaaayyy beyond our comprehension.

All I've learned from this thread is that even a lot of country blues fans have shitty taste
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2011, 11:36:56 AM »
Actually never really read the entire thread (till' now) but found out that I'm not alone on R.G. Davis voice.

What's wrong with just saying who you don't like? Without the intellectual, Philosofical bullshit.

I'm gonna name another one;
Never cared for R.L. Burnside, both acoustic and electric.

But those two guys is about all I can think off.

Would it be OK to have a thread about your favorite performer?

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »
Yep, let me conjur all my elegance & state THIS THREAD IS STUPID.

About the last thing I want to hear, personally, is a bunch of 21st century souls on computers state what they don't like about people who's life circumstances & talents are often waaaayyy beyond our comprehension.

All I've learned from this thread is that even a lot of country blues fans have shitty taste

That's one way to put things

...On the other hand this is musicians and their styles we're discussing - I don't think it's disrespectful to state your personal preferences and say why - and then someone should feel free to call you out on your dumbass opinion and explain why they beg to differ

As well as expressing your thoughts it's a process of appreciating music you otherwise wouldn't have
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline CF

« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »
Yeah just my take on things. There are players that I don't like as much as others but I think there's a time & place for it & a better way, for me, to express that.

Continue on.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »
Let's start another topic on "Least favorite threads"...  Not every thread-topic can be wonderful. If that standard was enforced there would be very few threads. And there would be very few people on forums.

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2011, 07:04:57 PM »
I can't listen to John Lee Hooker, if he or some of his work qualifies as Country Blues, too often. His lyrics leave a lot to be desired, in my opinion. That being said, he had a beautiful voice.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline LD50

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2011, 06:26:33 PM »
Sonny Terry. Sorry, I find his playing really annoying.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2012, 03:26:15 AM »
I've a very hard time getting past Ishmon Bracey's vocals, but great lyrics.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal