The Unwound Third > Phonograph Blues

DIY Recordings

<< < (2/2)

Richard:
Thanks a lot, the headphone jack does seem to be the way so I had better go and see what is available and make a start with minidisc.org.

--- Quote ---My Sony MD recorder has a line-out minijack as well as a headphone jack. So you can get 'em. Voltages from the headphone jack vs. line out are different AFAIK so getting one with a line-out might match the soundcard's level expectations better.
--- End quote ---

Rivers, that's interesting so what actual model would that be??

I think listening to what I can or cannot produce musically will be a help in moving my playing on and who knows I may even be brave enough to post a couple of bars here in due course   :-X

I've just had a thought, maybe you could instigate "the catflap" for posts from novice's as compared to the  "back porch" for up and running players ;D
--- Quote ---
--- End quote ---

Rivers:
Mine's this one, probly superseded by now: http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-R50.html

Muck:

--- Quote from: Rivers on June 09, 2004, 10:10:21 PM ---Mine's this one, probly superseded by now: http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-R50.html

--- End quote ---

Hi, being an old "taper" myself and a new member here, i dare a belated remark ...  ;-)

Yes, though minidisks have never been very popular in the Americas, they still are the "quality" choice
for amateur and semi-pro recording in Europe and Asia. Compared to DAT they are more robust,
compared to mobile HD-recorders like the Archos JukeBox etc they are dirt cheap to buy and maintain.

Transfering from line/headphone out to the analogue inputs of a (good) sound card may be okay, but if
you have invested in a real good microphone set, the costs for an optical input and a used MD-deck with
optical output are negligable IMHO. And since the stored format on MD is lossy, it's always a good idea
to have lesser steps of "transcoding", especially if you want (or need) more editing ...

Cheers,

Muck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version