The Unwound Third > Gitfiddles, Harps, Washboards & Kazoos

Repairing a lifting bridge

<< < (3/4) > >>

Stuart:
Hi Rivers: I agree with Wax. I've used Titebond for decades, as have woodworking friends of mine. II and III are solid products, but I wouldn't use them on guitars for the reason Wax mentions. I have a shop project that I made 60 years ago and glued up with Elmer's Glue-All, which was the standard for wood shop class way back when. The joints are still tight.

Norfolk Slim:
Definitely titebond 1 if not going for hide glue. 

For spatulas, I bought a set of artists spatulas from ebay for a couple of pounds, which work just fine.  I would not want to get steam around the bridge for fear of damaging the finish.  Rest the spatulas in boiuling water until they are hot and then just ease your way under the bridge, a bit at a time.  Its the same process one uses for removing hte fretboard extension for neck work.

Also- it is fairly simple to make a clamp / caul for the bridge.  You have the advantage of being able to put small screws through the bridge pin holes and to tighten them as a main clamp.  The purpose made bridge clamps are costly.

Rivers:

--- Quote from: Norfolk Slim on June 02, 2021, 12:05:43 AM ---Also- it is fairly simple to make a clamp / caul for the bridge.  You have the advantage of being able to put small screws through the bridge pin holes and to tighten them as a main clamp.  The purpose made bridge clamps are costly.

--- End quote ---

We have a store called Harbor Freight over here. It's fabulous and cheap. I see they have a wide range of deep throat clamps in various sizes, that'll be my first stop I think.

harriet:
You might find it useful to take a look at the photos for both the soundhole clamp with leveler and the bridge spatula to adapt what you get if you need to.

The spatula has felt at the end to make it easy to slide level without scratching, besides the rounded edges. The clamp leveler prevents drifting down of the clamp.

Rivers:
Good idea Harriet. I find myself adapting a lot of tools to the myriad tasks I find myself tackling daily. The clamps look very like the Harbor Freight ones, without the leveler screw, and the adjustable 'anvil' screw that goes inside underneath. It may be better to buy 3 for 10% discount from StewMac. Is three enough do you think?

I see I need to measure the distance from sound hole to each target position on the bridge to be able to order the right sizes(s). And I'll get their cool spatula while I'm at it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version