collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She said 'daddy, is that my train?' I say 'I ain't keepin up with the train time, I'm tryin to make a few dimes - Bukka White, Special Streamline

Author Topic: Opinions on Fraulini Angelina 12-string  (Read 6026 times)

Offline pete12string

Opinions on Fraulini Angelina 12-string
« on: April 12, 2008, 08:44:57 PM »
I'm real close to ordering a Fraulini Angelina 12 and I'd like to hear the opinions of others on the options that are available.  I'm most interested in what people think of the pin bridge vs. a tailpiece.  Also, the back and sides.  I think I would go with Mahogany.  Other opinions on Oak or Birch?  What would you choose?  Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Opinions on Fraulini Angelina 12-string
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »
If you like mahogany, then go with mahogany.  I have a Francesca 12-string with oak b/s that I love beyond all reason and a friend's Angelina 12-string, also oak, has been visiting for the past month or so.  Both guitars are tp models, although mine has the repro tp.  A friend has a mahogany Angelina/pin bridge - nice guitar.  I think the sound of the tp model have a little extra "something" at the expense of a little volume, maybe. The pin bridge models seem to be more direct...  depends on what your preference is.  Frankly, I think Todd's got a nice touch with oak, and I'm hoping to grub up one of his maple guitars someday.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 01:36:57 AM »
Wait for Blueshome to get back from the Weenie Guernsey gathering.  He's got a nice example that he will doubtless wish to report on.  I think Natterjack has one too (also in Guernsey I believe).
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:29:17 AM »
I agree exactly with what Frankie has said, having just spent the weekend with my own Angelina (tailpieace/oak) and Natterjack's pin bridge version. It was hearing the latter that convinced me to buy a 12-string Angelina when I had been going to order a 6!

I'm sure either would satisfy, but I made my choice and I'm happy to stick with it after a year's ownership and daily playing.

Speak to Todd about your personal requirements as to sound and volume, but I don't think you will make a mistake whichever way you go.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 07:49:15 AM »
Yes, it was the official annual UK Fraulini owners club meet and very nice they sounded too (two?)....
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:59:04 AM »
I couldn't decide between a 6 and a 12.... so Todd and I agreed to split the difference.
Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline natterjack

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »
Well, I went for the mahogany and pin bridge and like Blueshome, I'm delighted and wouldn't change it. I've played a few old ladder braced six-strings and the pin bridge ones always sounded better to me.

Whatever you choose, I don't think you can wrong :D

Offline pete12string

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 12:39:22 PM »
Well, I'm on Todd's list - the wait is 9 months (like having a baby!).  I haven't decided on all the details yet, but I have plenty of time to think about it.  Thanks to all of you who offered your opinions.  After all I've heard, I have a feeling that I can't go wrong with a Fraulini.  :)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 05:01:47 PM »
My friend's Angelina 12-string has been visiting here, and I decided I wasn't taking enough advantage of the opportunity, so I made it a point to pick it up at least a couple times a week in between other stuff for the last few weeks, just to give it a chance to speak and to see what would come out.  This is what came out:

Not sure it'll really give you an idea what this kind of guitar can sound like, or that it's really the kind of tune that most folks look for or expect on a 12-string, but I (gasp!) kinda like it.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »
Just great - love the low end twang!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 07:27:30 PM »
Excellent work Frank. You got to have the right 12 string to make it work, even more so than a 6, I think.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 08:23:22 PM »
Puts me in mind of Miss Bozo herself! Though I think she was cranked up to standard pitch. Sounds to me like you're in Georgia Bill mode. Is Bozo still alive and making guitars does anybody know?
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 08:39:45 PM »
Nice job, Frank!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 02:29:24 PM »
Thanks, guys.

You got to have the right 12 string to make it work, even more so than a 6, I think.

I'm not sure that the low-tuned sound is quite right for Rev. Davis's music, as Mr. O'muck pointed out - he usually tuned to pitch or even a little sharp.  I have one recording where I think he had borrowed a 12-string from Pete Seeger - there he was tuned about a whole step flat, maybe a little more.  I like the low-tuned sound for a few things because it makes me think a little more independently about his music and it puts my voice in a more comfortable range.

Plus, I have a schoolboy crush on my 12-string...

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »
You did a slammin' job on that song Mr. Frankie. A truly great and under performed song it is too.
Who playeth in F like unto RGD I ask thee? Fuckin' NO ONE thats bloody who mate! Lower tuning don't bother me at all, frankly, Frankie.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal