collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Some people say money is talking, but it won't say a word to me - Robert Hicks, Bad Time Blues

Author Topic: Buying a fingerpicking guitar  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Robbert

• Howdy!
Buying a fingerpicking guitar
« on: November 20, 2016, 05:00:56 AM »
I'm a beginning fingerpicking player and I want to buy a new guitar. I currently own a dreadnought and want to switch to a guitar that's more suitable for fingerpicking country blues. My budget is 600 bucks. Since I'm by far no guitar expert I hope you can help me with some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Buying a fingerpicking guitar
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 06:15:51 AM »
Hi Robbert,
I just moved your post over to this board since it deals specifically with musical instruments.  I suppose the main advice I would give in your search for a fingerpicking guitar is not to buy an instrument that you have not played.  If possible, it's nice to buy locally, too, where you live.  You should be able to get a really decent guitar within your budget.  Recording King guitars, made in China, are often within your budget, and the ones I've seen have been not only good for the money, they've been good guitars.  Sometimes you can find a used guitar that is structurally sound and that plays well and sounds good, but has been through the mill, in terms of its appearance, and you can get a deal, because the instrument is not pristine looking.  Best of luck in finding a guitar you'll be satisfied with for a good long while.
All best,
Johnm

Offline One-Eyed Ross

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 08:28:32 AM »
On the Recording Kings, I'd have to agree with John with one extra piece of advice:  Try to buy from a shop that can do a set up.  I've played on a few, and the one that had had a professional "set up" done on it (by a shop in Spokane, name lost to antiquity [mine, not the guitars!]) was a real joy to play....and I've almost bought it a few times....it's still hanging in the shop....
SSG, USA, Ret

She looked like a horse eating an apple through a wire fence.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »
I'm inclined to add that there's not necessarily anything wrong with a dreadnought for fingerpicking.   For me the big advantage of the small old guitars i tend to play is partly the sound but also the big neck and string spacing.  I still love picking my dreadnought.  Only thing that puts me off is comfort and width of the neck. 

In short- think about why it is you want a specific fingerpicking guitar.  Don't just assume you need one because it's the done thing.  What is it, for you, you want a fingerpicking guitar to do differently?  Then hunt for one that offers that...

Offline ScottN

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
I have a 12 fret Recording King 000 (RO-06) that I love and which was very inexpensive. It has a full scale length and slightly wider nut (1 13/16) and string spacing that is great for fingerpicking. It looks like Musician's Friend has this model for around $270. You also might search Reverb.com for other sellers, including used  guitars or other Recording King models. Mine has a solid spruce top and mahogany (I believe laminate) back and sides. I know RK makes solid wood B&S models that are quite inexpensive as well.

Good luck,

Scott

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »
I have a Blueridge BR-43, the equivalent of an OM size, also made in China, also very good for the price, also very good, also within your price range. And while the advice given to actually play the guitar and to have the shop do a setup of the instrument is spot-on, I didn't do either. I had the mail-order business I bought it from do the setup, and while I had tried a couple of Blueridges in a local store, they were different models. No need to obsess too much about your decision, if (when) you buy another one later on, you'll have some experience to make a more educated purchase.

Good luck and welcome to Weenie!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:04:58 AM by lindy »

Offline Robbert

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
Many thanks to all of you! I really appreciate the time you take to give me the advice... Thanks.

And I have news - I went to a couple of guitar stores and tried a lot of guitars. But like Lindy also mentioned - I didn't want to take too long to try and doubt about it. I bought the Recording King ROS-16 model.

It was nearly 300 bucks but MAN I'm so impressed by this guitar. It looks great and the sound is really WOW for a guitar in this price range. Actually, like John said, it's not only a good guitar for the money spend... it's just a good guitar! I'm so happy!

I love the soft V neck - it needs a little time to get used to the guitar but I love it...

Thanks again folks! I will update you with my progress since I'm just beginning. Old Kentucky Home, Careless Love, Poor Wayfaring Stranger, Oh Papa and the like ;-)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal