collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A lot of excitement is generated by their approach, which is just to pile on top of each other, play as loud, hard, and strong as they can, and let the devil take the hindmost - John Miller on Little Buddy Doyle's Renewed Love Blues

Author Topic: Bo Carter unissued sides?  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
Bo Carter unissued sides?
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:13:24 PM »
I notice that some unissued sides have eventually been dug up and issued on CDs.  What's the deal with this?  In particular, I am very curious about an unissued side of Bo Carter, recorded in 1940 (his last session) -- listed in my copy of Godrich & Dixon as "Total Ole Shaker".  As a member of a band called the Todalo Shakers, naturally I am dying of curiousity to hear this!  Where if anywhere would such a thing have ended up?  Were these sorts of things saved?  Matrix number listed is 047656-1.
Any advice or leads would be appreciated!  I know, it's probably a pipe dream to be able to hear unissued sides of Bo Carter...

Offline doctorpep

Re: Bo Carter unissued sides?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 04:55:38 PM »
John Hurt sings "I'm a total old shaker from my navel on down" in "I'm Satisfied". Hope that helps you out.

Sorry, but I have no info. on the whereabouts of the recording you're interested in.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:51:17 AM »
Perhaps chezztone will chime in as our resident Bo Carter expert. I don't know about Bo's unissued recordings specifically. But as far as I know, while the odd unissued recording in general can turn up from metal masters being uncovered etc., the more likely scenario is that such recordings are long gone. I would dearly love to hear the several unissued recordings of Blind Lemon from 1927, but so far no dice.

I wonder if Sam Chatmon did a todalo shaking tune? He did later record some material that was recorded by Bo, and it would be up his alley.

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:23:18 PM »
What CDs?
Which songs?
Bo was great. I'd love to hear more from him.

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
Yes, there were six sides Carter recorded that were not released: ?The Yellow Coon Has No Race,? ?I Wish to Make You Mine Some Day,? ?Leads Gone Bad,? ?Best Piece of Furniture,? ?Squeeze Your Orange,? ?Total Ole Shaker.?
They all sound terrific from the provocative titles. I would especially like to hear that first one, if someone told me I could open one box!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:47:38 AM »
Hi all,
I remember Sam singing "The Yellow Coon Has No Race", which occupied a similar place in his repertoire as "I Have to Paint My Face", which he recorded for Arhoolie.  I remember there was a lyric break in which he explains the various races to which the yellow coon may not belong, and the reasons why:

He can't be an Irishman 'cause his feet ain't so flat
   He can't be a Dago 'cause he ain't so fat
   He can't be a Choctaw 'cause his looks ain't so mean
   He can't be a Jew because his nose ain't so keen

Unfortunately, I can't remember the rest of the lyrics, but the break was the most memorable part.  I would be very surprised if Nick Perls did not record Sam singing the song, but as to what happened to such a recording if it was made, I don't know who could say at this point.
All best,
Johnm

Offline LD50

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 12:17:18 PM »
Hi all,
I remember Sam singing "The Yellow Coon Has No Race", which occupied a similar place in his repertoire as "I Have to Paint My Face", which he recorded for Arhoolie.  I remember there was a lyric break in which he explains the various races to which the yellow coon may not belong, and the reasons why:

He can't be an Irishman 'cause his feet ain't so flat
   He can't be a Dago 'cause he ain't so fat
   He can't be a Choctaw 'cause his looks ain't so mean
   He can't be a Jew because his nose ain't so keen

Unfortunately, I can't remember the rest of the lyrics, but the break was the most memorable part.  I would be very surprised if Nick Perls did not record Sam singing the song, but as to what happened to such a recording if it was made, I don't know who could say at this point.
All best,
Johnm

That's a good question -- who owns the Blue Goose masters nowadays? No one?

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »
So just what the heck is going on?
Here we have at least six historically important (to me, anyway) recordings which have been withheld from public scrutiny, presumably for commercial reasons.
Capitalism is bollocks.
Does anyone here have copies of the tunes?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Hi LD50,
My understanding of the Blue Goose inventory is that it went to Shanachie along with the Yazoo catalog.  Some, but not all of the Blue Goose releases were licensed to a Japanese label for release on CD about 10 years ago.  Nick had recorded a lot of good stuff that never ended up being released, though, including some Pete Franklin, Hacksaw Harney, Sam Chatmon, and I think some Tom Shaw in addition to what ended up on his record, and other stuff, I'm sure.  Shanachie has not shown any interest in putting out the Blue Goose catalog items on CD (understandable, I suppose, from a commercial point of view), but it is a shame not to have this music available.
All best,
Johnm

Offline LD50

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 06:39:39 PM »
I notice that some unissued sides have eventually been dug up and issued on CDs. 

Which CDs and which songs?

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 07:44:32 PM »
There are three numbers on the Document CDs that were originally unissued on 78: "Twist It, Baby," "The Law Gonna Step on You," and "Pigmeat Is What I Crave." They've been issued on other labels as well.

"Leads Gone Bad" and "Squeeze Your Orange" sound like alternate titles of "Pencil Won't Right No More" and "Let Me Squeeze Your Lemon," but who knows? I would think if the masters or tests existed they would have surfaced by now, but one never knows...

Offline jostber

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 01:39:39 AM »
There were a couple of Bo Carter songs in the Too Late series on Document as well:

"New Auto Blues", "Backache Blues" and "Nobody Knows My Baby".

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
There were a couple of Bo Carter songs in the Too Late series on Document as well:

Those were all issued on 78, though; they just weren't in Document's hands in time for the Carter CD issue.

Offline jostber

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »

Those were all issued on 78, though; they just weren't in Document's hands in time for the Carter CD issue.

Thanks, especially like that "Nobody Knows My Baby".

Tags: Bo Carter 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal