collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm crazy about you baby but I just can't pay the price - Eddie Cleanhead Vinson, Kidney Stew

Author Topic: Hohner Piemont Blues harps?  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Dave in Tejas

• David Newton Guitars
Hohner Piemont Blues harps?
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:59:29 AM »
I don't know about you, but I play harp every once in a while, and have a hard time spending $30 for a good harp. I see a set of these for around $30 and wonder if they will honk.
Has anyone here tried one?

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
Re: Hohner Piemont Blues harps?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:25:17 AM »
I got a box set of Hering Harmonicas for teaching from Harmonicas and Stuff (are they still around?) for about $45 a a couple of years ago and they worked fine.  I think there are 6 or 7 in the set in a plastic box.  They sound good but never have gigged with them extensively.  Bought some expensive Herings that sound great.

RobBob

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:57:24 AM »
I think that the Herring 1923 model harmonicas will beat the snot out of a Hohner Marine Band, Blues Harp, Special 20 etc.  No contest, they're like real instruments.
I think Hohners quality control has really slipped in the past few years and it's easy to get a dud, either with a bad note or leaky reed plates.  The Herrings that I've had are nice and tight and in tune right out of the box. 
The package sets of harps tend to be cheap, Chinese made instruments and, like most things, you get what you pay for.  I usually buy cheap harps for my son, who is two, but now he knows the difference and will only play the Herrings. 
The Herring 1923's go for about $20 each, and will last a good long time.
Good luck,
Todd

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 02:05:39 PM »
I prefer Honer's Golden Melody formerly Navy Band. All plastic interior (but nice high quality plastic) and nicely streamline shape. Great mellow sound too. Don't warp up when you soak 'em!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 03:32:32 PM by Mr.OMuck »
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 05:46:18 AM »
The Herings i was referring to were called Free Blues.  I do not see them on their site now but they do list this:

Hering Blues Harmonica

Hering Blues Harmonica Reedplates assembled to the gold plastic body with 3 self-tapping screws, making maintenance easy. Air-tight assembly for excellent response and tone quality. 20 Reeds harmonica

These are $17 each.

You get what you pay for.

RobBob

Offline Chromatonic

• Chromatonic
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 07:10:41 PM »
They're TERRIBLE. But the box they come in is pretty handy - maybe even worth the price o' the whole set.
Sp20's aren't that expensive - around $22.00 if you look around (as of 10/08). A good quality cheap alternative is the Big River.
I play the Blues from my heart...

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal