collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Author Topic: Blind Will Dukes?  (Read 1912 times)

Offline JohnLeePimp

Blind Will Dukes?
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »

What's his story - upon first listen I thought it was John Hammond doing a fake "real bluesman", like Blind Joe Death

He recorded in Detroit 1975 and at that point I'm sure there were countless imitators - but this guy sounds like an original imitator

...even tough he seems to have only done Johnson's recorded material  ::)

...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Blind Will Dukes?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:31:18 AM »
He was recorded in Detroit, Mi, Feb 1975 and released on JSP LP 1079 which also included songs from Johnny Shines.

Terraplane blues
Dead shrimp blues
Steady rollin? man
Me & the Devil   
Mean hearted woman
Ramblin? blues
Hobo blues
Milk cow blues   
Mistreated so long   
Sail on little woman   
Hoodoo man

Three further songs later appeared on a JSP "sampler" (LP 1068 Downhome Blues)

In later years these found their way on to CD.

A letter in Living Blues 33 (1977) reported Will Dukes as having been recorded at least twice in the 1970s with Dukes apparently recorded by Bowling Green State University prior to the above session.

[Later, after some excavating]

The LP was released in October 1984 and the two reviews I've found report that Dukes claimed he learnt these direct fromRJ - which, not surprisingly, is greeted with scepticism ("How much did he learn from Johnson directly, and how much from the records". "Did he have the role forced upon him at the time of the recording" etc). The reviews don't say who made the recording, but at a guess I'd take a stab at George Paulus.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:29:51 AM by Bunker Hill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal