collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You get that right tickin' rhythm, man, and its ON! - Fats Waller

Author Topic: Son Brimmer  (Read 6675 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Son Brimmer
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 01:42:11 AM »
Yes, thanks for this, BH. It reminds me of the awful stories of Sleepy John Estes living in desperate poverty upon rediscovery as well.
Thought I'd resurrect this briefly in the light of something I've just come across in Derrick Stewart-Baxter's blues column in Jazz Journal February 1964:

A few months back (September) I wrote an article on Sleepy John Estes and the sorry plight he was in. Several readers wrote offering suggestions, and quite recently the editor had a letter from blues authority George Adins, who first brought to our notice the conditions under which John was living. Adins writes: "It has been suggested that something like a benefit concert should be organised to help John Estes. That would be a very nice thing to do, and I am willing to give any help I can to further this suggestion. Maybe part of the proceeds could go to Memphis Minnie whom I met in Memphis and who is in bad shape. A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from her asking for money. The problem is how to organise such a benefit concert and how to convince British musicians to give their services free".

I fully support George Adins with regard to his suggestions regarding Memphis Minnie, a wonderful singer who is virtually unknown in this country. Many blues artists have given us hours of pleasure. Now is the time to come to their aid. I am sure once the ball is given a kick, British musicians will be only too willing to co-operate. Mr. Adins' address for any who wish to help is 59 Blvd. de Smet de Naeyer; Courtra, Belgium. I have already had some offers and suggestions, and need hardly say, that I will do anything I can to help.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Son Brimmer
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 10:59:53 AM »
Having just received my Roots and Rhythm newsletter for May 2007, I thought I'd take a turn reviving this thread to note that this latest missive from R&R (always very informative) includes a re-issue from Fat Possum of the recordings found on Southland LP 14 discussed earlier in the thread. So the Mitchell recordings of Will Shade, Charlie Burse, Furry Lewis, Sleepy John Estes, and Gus Cannon, all recorded in '62-'63, are available again. Despite a roster that would have a Memphis blues fan going into palpitations, Frank Scott from R&R, whose reviews are usually quite accurate IMO, isn't particularly enthusiastic about the recordings. "Not a great album but definitely worth a listen," sez Frank who still gives it a "recommended" rating.

The disc is Tennessee Recordings - Fat Possum 1092, 15 tracks, 44 min. $9.98 from R&R
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 11:00:54 AM by uncle bud »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal