collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hurt would introduce 'Coffee Blues' by declaring that his favorite coffee was Maxwell House because it was 'good till the last drop.' This is the kind of song that comes with a wink and a nudge. At the Gaslight, the mug Hurt would bring to the stage was not filled with coffee, but with a spot of whiskey. - John Milward, notes from Mississippi John Hurt, The Complete Studio Recordings

Author Topic: Jimmie Rodgers "Grounghog Rootin' in my Backyard"  (Read 737 times)

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Jimmie Rodgers "Grounghog Rootin' in my Backyard"
« on: March 03, 2016, 01:14:31 PM »
Ladies, gentlemen and Unkie Bud:

I encountered this tune through Harry's excellent "Groundhog Blues" thread.

I became interested in it's structure. I consider it a 12-bar blues, although Jimmie extends each 4-bar segment with a bar (or two) of little strums and his signature base runs. He often adds four bars to the end of each verse to do his yodelling thing.

The thing that caught my eye was the structure of the third 4-bar section. In other blues its often V-V-I-I or V-IV-1-V of other such variations . In this tune it's I-V-V-I. The I chord from the end of Bar 8 continues uninterrupted into and through Bar 9. I found this a cool effect, as your ear is anticipating the V chord, creates some tension, finally resolved by the appearance of the V chord in Bar 10. Usually its the other way around.

I think Jim Jackson employs this from time to time, but his chord structures are so mutable.

Have any of you encountered this structure before? Is it a characteristic of JR? I listened to a few more of his blues but did not encounter it.

Heres the Youtube recording

Alex

Thanks,
Alex
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:15:50 PM by GhostRider »

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Re: Jimmie Rodgers "Grounghog Rootin' in my Backyard"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »
Jimmie Rodgers was well-known for not keeping time well. Little variations like this happen all the time in his self-accompanied work. Makes for interesting study.  -Larry
That's all she wrote Mabel!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal